Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shutting down in gear -vs- neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Shutting down in gear -vs- neutral

MSF had those Uncle Ben bikes with all kinds of safety switches.

Personally I always shut down and start in Neutral and do not use the kill switch.

The exception is when I feel that I need the additional staying power that first gear provides like on a hill. Then I use the Kill switch as a reminder and start in gear with the clutch in.

What I feel is more important is waiting for the fuel pump to come up to pressure.

But this is certainly without technical merit. Just my way!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I always shut down in 1st. I always put bike in neutral before starting and hold the clutch in just in case. I would never trust the green "N" light.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:12 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I SHUT DOWN IN GEAR AND THEN GO TO NEUTRAL. NEUTRAL IS MUCH EASIER TO ENGAGE WHEN THE MOTOR IS NOT RUNNING BECAUSE THE TRANNY SYNCHROS ARE TURNING WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. THATS WHY YOU SEE GUYS REPEATEDLY TAPPING THE FRONT SHIFTER FISHING FOR NEUTRAL WHEN ALL IT TAKES IS ONE CLICK ON THE HEEL WHEN YOU ARE IN FIRST WITH THE MOTOR OFF.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:15 PM
jconro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question. I've always shutdown / started my bikes in neutral unless I'm forced to park on an incline. I've never had a neutral light lie to me but I suppose that's possible. I never use the kill switch either but that's probably just personal preference.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

ORIGINAL: imcav8r

So does that mean that with the clutch in there is more starter drag than simply having the bike in neutral? MSF teaches to hold the clutch in while starting even though the bike is in neutral. These are all good answers but I think they're still missing something. I like to know how and why something works, not just that it does work. It always helped me in the long run when trouble-shooting problems and even help prevent future problems.
OK the technical explanation. Your motorcycle has a wet clutch. This means it runs in an oil bath. The oil bath helps to keep it cool and also to make the clutch slip slightly when it is being engaged - this makes for smoother take offs. As you ride, the oil film on the clutch gets less and less. Hence, no slippage.

When your bike sits over night, some of the oil squeezes out from between the clutch plates. This causes more friction between the discs. When you pull in on the clutch lever, there is still some friction between the discs and this causes drag on the starter. Try this - hop on your bike and pull in the lever with it in gear, hit the starter and see if you feel the bike trying to move ofrward.

By putting the bike in neutral, the additional load of trying to move the bike forward because the clutch has not completely released is over come.

Need more of an explanation or clarification on any of this, just ask and I will try to help.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Big_Tex
1st Gear

The '07s won't start in gear without the clutch pulled in. I was at the Stealer when they read it in the owner's manual and tried it out. In gear no clutch the starter won't turn over. It's about time. I was holding up a bike once for a guy to see how it fit. I was holding the front wheel between my legs when he decided he wanted to hear it run. He thought it was in neutral, (or he was an idiot) and hit the starter. Tried to turn me into a soprano.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
jsd245
Advanced

I always park my bike in first unless I'm in my garage. Starts the same in 1st or neutral, doesn;t matter. There is a slight drag on the clutch if its cold when I start it. I have never heard nor intuitively do I feel that shutting down in gear could harm the transmission in any way. I get aroung the issue of mistakenly starting it without the clutch pulled in because I have a police model. They have an interlock on the clutch.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:34 PM
imcav8r
Intermediate

Great explanation Grover. This is what I was looking for.

Thanks!!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SamStone

I always shut down in 1st. I always put bike in neutral before starting and hold the clutch in just in case. I would never trust the green "N" light.
Ditto.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

I've always shutdown/started up in 1st.

That theory about the scoot wanting to roll/lurch forward when cold even with the clutch pulled in is a FACT - I've always wondered WTF was going on???

From now on - shutdown in first - startup in neutral for me. THANKS for the tips. HD forum strikes again.

Quick Reply: Shutting down in gear -vs- neutral