Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rodger McEwan Oil Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as restrictions in the oil galley....that's bogus. There has been no change in the oil pressure or any other adverse indications of restrictions in the oil system since my installation a year ago. The McEwen gauge works just fine...as advertised.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:23 AM
PappyUSMC
Tourer

I couldnt find the HD one, and I got this one for 75.

Seems pretty easy for me to read.

I dont know enough about the oil galley to speak of that.

I will say, I expected it to match the HD Gauges better. But so far.. I am not upset.

Will give it sometime before I decide.

The more i think about, the more I would rather have a cylinder head temp gauge.

I may have to find one of those instead. I just want something that matches the other gauges.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:03 AM
makstv5
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main oil feed

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
As far as restrictions in the oil galley....that's bogus. There has been no change in the oil pressure or any other adverse indications of restrictions in the oil system since my installation a year ago. The McEwen gauge works just fine...as advertised.
I wasn't comfortable with the sender and its large diameter end sticking into my main oil feed as it does. Maybe its not that big of deal but at least i observed it and am not having that on my bike. The adapter keeps the 1/8 sender from restricting that oil galley at all and probably for a reason. I'm sure some just crank the McEwan sender in there not paying any attention. It sucks the whole setup is shtty, gauge always looks pegged and hard to read the numbers all tight together above 170 and really does not match that good . The lights not as bright and it leaves a little notch at the top of the fairing that light shines through unless you put a piece of tap over it on the inside of the fairing on some years. I sent mine right back and got the hd one much better period.

Last edited by makstv5; 02-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
mackcr
Cruiser

I installed this gauge on my 06 Ultra whan it was new. I have not had any issues after 50,000 miles and the gauge works great.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

I had this guage on my 06 SG and it worked great, and matches pretty good to the other guages. Your temp sounds correct, currently with it being 50 outside. Talk to the dealer they will tell you they consider 285 a normal operating temp on the touring bikes.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by PappyUSMC
I couldnt find the HD one, and I got this one for 75.

Seems pretty easy for me to read.

I dont know enough about the oil galley to speak of that.

I will say, I expected it to match the HD Gauges better. But so far.. I am not upset.

Will give it sometime before I decide.

The more i think about, the more I would rather have a cylinder head temp gauge.

I may have to find one of those instead. I just want something that matches the other gauges.
I spoke with Rodger McEwan a few months ago, he says that the guage is most accurate between the temperature range of 220-260 degrees.
The drag is that we are conditioned to look at a guage and if it's in the middle then it's normal. But the McEwan gauge only goes to 300 degrees and normal riding temperature would be on the high side of the gauge.

I ended up buying the HD gauge. It was out of stock everywhere. I ended up having my local dealer print me a list of all U.S. dealers that show it in stock. Finally found it in Colorado. Even got a 25% discount. Nice gauge. Be sure to look for RevA.

oh yea... the HD goes to zero.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

they must have changed the RM gauges. mine does not looked pegged out and goes to 0 when the bike is off. mine goes to 300* and normally runs around 200-220* easy to see and has been great for the last 5 or 6 years. The oil galley is not plugged and if you actually see the oil tank off you can see the probe does not inhibit any oil flow. This is on an 04 flhtc so maybe different on t/c96's. There is an adapter that the probe screws into and the probe would not work without the adapter. My RM reads exactly what the dipstick temp gauge reads on mine. My buddy got one of the digital dipstck ones and I tried it out to compare the two and they read the same.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I currently have this gauge installed on my 2005 Ultra Classic and I'm trying to replace it with the Dakota Digital Oil Temp gauge. I am having a problem removing the reducer bushing that goes into the oil pan; it seems as if the Rodger McEwan sending unit is 2 parts (sending unit & thread reducer). I am willing to buy a copy of the instructions from you; I am at a "standstill" with the project until I can get this removed.
Thanks!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM
PappyUSMC
Tourer

I can see if i still have the intructions and scan them for you free......

But.. the sensor was a one piece unit when i bolted it in.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gauge

Installed mine last night.I bought it from the 2010 HD book and it matches really close,Starts at 110 and goes to 350,The sender went in the oil pan and the total time to install was less than two hours.Havent tried it yet too much snow.backlite seems to match,chrome bezel is a little different. paid 140.00 that extra money must be worth it considering the problems some of you are having.

Last edited by bagger76; 02-17-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Rodger McEwan Oil Temp Gauge