Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics Shipping OVERCHARGE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:04 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I got a better one, $12.00 for a small security screw and allen wrench for my GPS mount and they want $7.27 to ship it. What does a very small padded envelope and USPS postage cost, about $2.00.

How about this, it's for a holster costing $9.99. Shipping is only $2 less then the item cost.

Subtotal $9.99
Embellishment charges $0.00
Promotion $0.00
Shipping $7.95

They got us by the short hairs but you need what you need.................

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 02-13-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay. ............Recreation ain't CHEEP!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:22 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Those of you who are saying tape isn't free, ect... yes your right. But really, when they can ship something small for say 4.95 from USPS and want another 5-6.00 "Handling" charge on a piece your buying that cost maybe 10.00 that's ridiculous. I am just like some of you, you have to pay what they demand if you want the part. But it MAY influence if your going to see my PAY PAL Address show up again for your business! (Or CC number ect...)
Some business brag about having the lowest prices, and if you compare they may. HOWEVER it may go above the others when you compare their idea of "Overhead"
You know now, you should have asked, but we all just "***-U-ME" sometimes right? And we know what happens then!
The company does seem to have a pretty good Rep on here, maybe they will make it right and you guys can make up!

Old 02-13-2010, 02:33 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kinda hard to argue against what you guys are saying, really. A buck or two would be far more reasonable "handling" in these situations, or just raise the price a tiny bit like someone else said.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Read the thread - interesting points. BB - I think you have a point but really think it's a bit unfair to the vendor for you to come here and rag on them and then say it's not worth your time to call them and get their side of the argument.

Sure - there's additional overhead to send items out whether USPS provides boxes for free or not (gas to drive tot he post office comes to mind if you don't schedule a pick-up).

I agree that if the total price is not clearly identified to the buyer before the buyer commits to pay that's a problem. If I were the buyer I think I'd take that up with the seller. It's more likely to result in a satisfactory outcome for all involved and for future customers.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
What's the difference if the part costs more or handling is applied?

Business whose main focus is walk-ups have every right to charge a little more. It takes more effort to box and ship something than to just hand it to someone.

Saying "I'll never buy from someone again" over a $5 charge is actually pretty amusing.
A guy who buys online costs much less than walk-ups. For walk in business you have to have a nicer higher rent office in a better location with a nice storefront, but also the walk-in customer comes in and asks a lot of questions and chats up your salespersons and CSR's, taking much more time, plus the time of the CSR to actually enter the order. So you need more employees to service walk-in trade, which costs MUCH more than boxes and tape. The online customer enters his own order. You just have to put it in a box and ship it.

The price of part should be higher for walk-ups to pay for the nice storefront, counter space and time of your employees. If you were just shipping to online customers you could have a ratty warehouse at a lower rental cost.

Handling charges are complete BS. You want me to pay you to handle the part you sold me? Ridiculous. Just cover the cost of shipping supplies and handling in your shipping charge.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you badbagger; I don't mine paying a fair shipping charge but the 'handling part' of the fees always frosts me. I've ordered small items online and have been charged MORE than the cost of the items just for shipping & handling fees.

Shipping is a fair fee, but often the fee I'm charged upfront is a lot more than the fee that shows up the shipping label on the outside of the box... guess I'm not supposed to notice that. Nothing like being charged $18 to ship, with a label on the box that shows they paid $6.50.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbideDude
Just cover the cost of shipping supplies and handling in your shipping charge.
Not really any different, but hidden so we don't complain?

probably a good idea, and try to charge a reasonable amount, not something that actually increases your profit.

I don't disagree.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger
What pisses me off is the pure BS charges which is simply profit.
Yeah, I hate that too, except when I do it in my business--but that's different!

What gets my dander up is the $35 "activation" fee these cellular carriers charge, which is total BS. When I change carriers I always tell them either don't charge it or I'll go elsewhere, and they always waive that fee. And how about those "shop charges" when you have service done on your bike or car? If they want to charge for WD-40, paper towels, etc., why stop there? Let's add for electricity, water, salaries, insurance, etc.

Last edited by iclick; 02-14-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
sorry dude but you just completely worked yourself over.

and, btw...tape is NOT free from the post office. boxes are, yes.
Actually the tape is free. All you have to ask for is the Priority mail tape (with the Priority mail logo) and they will give you a free roll. All other Priority mail stuff except for bubble wrap is free. This includes mailing labels, international mail and customs documents and pressure sensitive labels. It is also shipped to your door...free! So what expense is there? It only cost 3 cents to print out a label! Also the post office will personaly pick up your Priority mail item for shipping with just a 1-800 toll free call so there is no fuel involved on your part!

Because of this I have been using Priority mail exclusively for shipping my eBay items. I have never charged a "handling" fee in the 8 years I have been shipping stuff!

Last edited by DrPlastic; 02-14-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Biketronics Shipping OVERCHARGE!