Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics Shipping OVERCHARGE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger
Honestly it's only bout $5 in "handling" fees so not worth my time to sit and haggle over it... shipping is shipping and I understand that and they also sent it priority and took uh... well, too long but I know there's been snow etc. What pisses me off is the pure BS charges which is simply profit. It's akin to the "admin fees" when you look at a car on the lot and I'll be damned if I'd ever pay those. I've walked from more lots than one when I had cash in hand to buy. This isn't about the money, it's about ethics more than anything.
You do know that the box, the packing materials in the box, the tape that closed the box, the label on the box and the ink to print the label ALL cost a seller money over and above the cost of shipping right?

They could have just tacked 5 bucks onto the price of the item your purchasing.

At least its not as bad as the shop supply charge most shops tack on!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM
kickstart51
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait a minute. You say just add $4 or $5 handling fee & your fine with that. Then you say that is what they did, & you are stiil pissed. Boy It sounds like it could be raining silver dollars, & you would be pissed cause you had to pick them up. Get over it.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Let's have some facts.

What did the part itself cost?
What was the shipping cost?
and
What was the total charge to you?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Part: Plastic radio cover $19.99

Shipping priority: $4.70

Handling: $4.65

THE SUPPLIES: The priority mail box was provided by the post office as the tape etc.

As I said, it is an ethics thing. IF they had DISCLOSED it, no big deal.

But just to up and do that.. HELL FUKKING NO. BS.

End of rant, I'm over it but I'll NEVER order another thing from them.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Tom, if you go to BT's website, at the bottom is a tab labeled "POLICIES." Click on it, scroll down past the warranty information, and you will see their policy on "Shipping and Handling" which states that shipping is charged at the actual cost and provides for $5 "handling" charge. You actually were charged less than their standard "handling" charge.

It would have been interesting if you had phoned them to ask if they really intended to charge $4.65 handling for your $20 cover. The handling charge doesn't seem excessive when purchasing their primary products ($200 retro radio kits, $350 amps, and so forth). Perhaps if you had called them they would have refunded all or a portion of the handling charge you paid.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

You're right on the charge not being excessive for a big ticket item but that's almost a 25% charge on an item that probably cost them $5 to make. It is what it is Carl and I'm done with it. I guess I should have read their site but I am of the opionion (and ya know what they say about opinions lol) that the should have disclosed it when I called. If they had, no problem. It's not about the money by a long shot. To me, it's an ethical thing and wasting my time talking to them will cost me more than what it's worth. Might be me I guess but disclosing it at the time of sale would seem like the "right" or ethical thing to do. I would not have had a problem.. well I may have said something especially $5 or so on a $20 part but I would have paid it and no big deal. In MY business, I am open and upfront about all of my charges from the get go so there are NO surprises. I learned that in college in Good Business Ethics 101.

This type of "advertising" is NOTHING any business wants.. you can't buy it and damn sure don't want it... just as the "good word of mouth" can't be bought for any price. I'm over it but it obviously annoyed the snot out of me lol.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with BadBagger about the handling charge is BS. What's next? Prorated share of the owner's salary as a separate item on your charge? Handling should be factored in as overhead and applied to the cost of the part. Anything otherwise is just downright misleading, making it look like you're buying something cheap when the real cost is double.

Last edited by CarbideDude; 02-12-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Shipping has really gone up. Handling charges are normal with the purchase is low cost.

I order 1 Lb. silver king sweet corn.
corn $10.16
shipping and handling was $ 6.65
total $16.61

That is the way it is

dd

Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry dude but you just completely worked yourself over.

and, btw...tape is NOT free from the post office. boxes are, yes.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbideDude
I agree with BadBagger about the handling charge is BS. What's next? Prorated share of the owner's salary as a separate item on your charge? Handling should be factored in as overhead and applied to the cost of the part. Anything otherwise is just downright misleading, making it look like you're buying something cheap when the real cost is double.
What's the difference if the part costs more or handling is applied?

Business whose main focus is walk-ups have every right to charge a little more. It takes more effort to box and ship something than to just hand it to someone.

Saying "I'll never buy from someone again" over a $5 charge is actually pretty amusing.

Quick Reply: Biketronics Shipping OVERCHARGE!