Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC III and starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM
smg614
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC III and starting Problems

I have an 08 street glide stock motor, SE heavy breather, Rush slip-ons with the PC III with the map from Dynojet. My bike is in the shop now w/ starter issues (grinding). It mainly grinds once the motor is warm. The tech said that it does this about every 3rd start. He has removed the PCIII and said that the bike starts fine. Has anyone else had issues such as this? Need help, wondering if I wasted my money 2 years ago on this thing?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been runnin the pc3 on my bike for around 70 k miles.. no regrets here

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM
jpnelson1978
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 06 road king and back in 2006 alot of guys including me had this problem on here with the pc3. i ended out getting the SE race tuner, not because the hard start though. i dont know problem ever got resolved on here but if you do a hard enough search, you should find plenty of info on this. alot of 06s had injector recalls and i thought that might be the problem. i got new injectors and it didnt fix it. but sure enough if you disconnect the pc3 it fired on the first.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Question My PCIII is fine

My PCIII works fine.

How can a fuel management system affect the mechanics of a starter?

JR

Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smg614
I have an 08 street glide stock motor, SE heavy breather, Rush slip-ons with the PC III with the map from Dynojet. My bike is in the shop now w/ starter issues (grinding). It mainly grinds once the motor is warm. The tech said that it does this about every 3rd start. He has removed the PCIII and said that the bike starts fine. Has anyone else had issues such as this? Need help, wondering if I wasted my money 2 years ago on this thing?
Had the same issue. Twice. Both times the Dealer replaced the starter under warranty. The MoCo has a problem with starters and they know it. If your bike is at the Dealer and they haven’t changed the starter they are jerking you around.

Last edited by SA315B; 02-12-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JR-Boston
My PCIII works fine.

How can a fuel management system affect the mechanics of a starter?

JR

EXACTLY.....90% of harley dealership techs are full of crap. They will tell you they changed your headlight bulb and now your bike doesn't vibrate as much!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now i don't doubt there are starter problems based off what i read on her so id be looking there as well but iam no fuel managment expert but why couldn't a tunner affect the starting of a bike. For example if it was not set up right and at start up was dumping to much or not enough fuel based on like the pcIII the throttle position was not set correct or the fuel tables for the zero percent throttle were jacket up would that not affect the amount of fuel being delievered at start up and thus affect the starting of the bike not saying its likely but it could happen and or with a piggyback system something be off little in a setting or chip and cause similar issues to what iam saying. I could be off in left field here but i bet it could happen unlikely but not impossible.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

The mechanic is probably just talking about the starter delay. Remember...the PCIII on 07-08 bikes has that 1-2 second delay while trying to start. It's because the PCIII does not have constant power unless the fuel pump circuit is activated. Do a search on "PCIII Delay" and you get goobs of info.

The grinding sound..has nothing to do with the PCIII.

lp

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I went through this a couple of years ago with my 103" build and sert. There are many possibilities or combinations that could be causing this. My local dealer, the ones who did the build said it was the starter clutch and replaced it. That didn't help much. Later on they upgraded the starter after it fried. The heavy duty starter helped quite a bit, but still wasn't just right.

I took the bike to a different tuner. He said the start up timing was way off. He adjusted the start up timing and that helped dramatically, but still was having trouble with hot starts once in awhile.

Then I read on this forum to try to start the bike as soon as I turn the ignition switch on (don't wait for the engine light to go out). That works 100% of the time. I have not had a hard start in the last 12,000 miles after switching to this starting method.

I called the tuner that adjusted the timing and asked him how this was possible. He said that it wouldn't hurt the bike at all to start it without waiting for the light. He says the same diagnostic series will run and finish whether the bike is running or waiting for me to start it. He explained to me that the start up fuel table was a bit lean. He said I could bring it back to him and he would correct that table, or I could just keep starting it the way I am.

He says that the fuel is injected into the motor as soon as the ignition is hot. If your motor is hot and you wait until the light goes out, the fuel sometimes vaporizes and cause a lock the same as when you give a diesel motor too much ether on start-up. This is how the tune can affect the actual mechanics of the starter.

More fuel on start up or less time before the starter is engaged is all it took for me after months of aggravation. Many on here have dismissed this as not possible, but in my case and at least a dozen more others that were having hard start issues on hot motors this has been the solution.

It doesn't cost a penny to try this.

Dennis

Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed a 3 revolution "hard start" when I wait for the engine light to go off after putting the switch in the "run" position.
Now I don't wait for the light and it can't wait to start. Try it.
I have a PCIII also.

Mark

Quick Reply: PC III and starting Problems