Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem parts what to do with

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
jasonmoore20
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem parts what to do with

what do you do with the oem parts you switch out on your bikes? have switched out just about everything on my bike and wandering is there any market for this stuff other than swap meets or is it all just junk

Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

try the classifieds here !

Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then what you dont sell here put on ebay......

Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I saved a lot of it from my last bike and reinstalled some of it before selling the bike. Bike sells for same price and used upgraded parts sell better than used oem parts. Made quite a bit extra on the total sale.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've sold some here and I've still got a lot of them in my shop. I'm keeping my stock exhaust though, just in case the local government starts cracking down on loud pipes or I don't pass the emissions testing that I'm hearing we're going to have to go through here in the Chicago area.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually keep the OEM parts until I sell the bike and if the new owner doesn't want them, then I will sell the left-over parts.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep all mine in the basement. Whenever I read a thread about somebody that has had a wreck, I box up whatever parts he can use, and ship them to have for free. Pay it forward!!!! I've shipped wheels, rotors, brake and clutch levers, fenders,..... anything I have and do not need, is available to anybody in need.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
I keep all mine in the basement. Whenever I read a thread about somebody that has had a wreck, I box up whatever parts he can use, and ship them to have for free. Pay it forward!!!! I've shipped wheels, rotors, brake and clutch levers, fenders,..... anything I have and do not need, is available to anybody in need.
That is the right spirit. If you can sell it, that's okay but to let someone have it for free or the cost of shipping, that is something a lot of riders would never consider. I fall into the been there done that category, if a part is laying around my workshop or collecting dust, does it really have a "value" to me, not really. If someone else can use it then all the better. I have found out that there are some stock parts you literally can't give away, they just don't seem to be needed.

One other thing to consider is the thread in the Classified Section here for Freebies and Trades, you never know what you might be able to trade straight up for the parts you have.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put some on craigs list or ebay and some parts I kept just in case I sold the current bike and wanted to keep some of the replacement parts for the next one. Last bike I stripped off a good batch of parts and wish that I would have kept even more of the originals. I wasn't going to keep the pipes because I knew I wasn't going to swap them out. Just think about those to scenarios when you start removing them.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:55 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are artistic, you could make a collage out of them or a scupture. I think it would look really cool in your front yard. I can sell you a bunch of take off items by the pound if you want to pay shipping. I have a bunch of zinc bolts, washers etc as well as old rubber hand grips gaskets, oil filters. I have a few hundred pages of Harley accessory installation sheets too.

No, I am not serious, so please don't contact me about selling. They are in the attic and not worth the trouble in case I really need something n a pinch.

Quick Reply: oem parts what to do with