Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New digital temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 06:17 AM
paco ritter
|
Cruiser
Default New digital temp gauge

Found this digital gauge with 1/2" red LED numbers, 2" diameter, same as the factory analog gauge. It is water proof and industrial built, made to withstand abuse. Only downfall is that they are 6V. You have to have a 12V to 6V reducer in line to make it work. I was fortunate to have a friend who is an electronic wizard, he made me the regulator out of scrap stuff he had lying around. It works great so far. Haven't tried it except sitting in my shop, assume it to work going down the road. If so, it'll be much improvement over the factory analog too small to read gauge, and it is accurate since I put the probe just behind the bottom of the fairing in the center of the forks.

Attached Thumbnails New digital temp gauge-lite.jpg   New digital temp gauge-dark.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010 | 07:50 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

thats nice, but I have a serious question... why do you care what the temp is?

For me personally, the temp guage is the most useless thing on my bike. its either cold or hot or wet, any more info is more than I need when I ride.

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:06 AM
paco ritter
|
Cruiser

Well Steve, guess I'm just one of those folks who like to know when it's 26* and I'm cruisin' with my HD heated liners pumping out 80+ temp keeping me comfy even in the cold weather. Or, if it's 105 degrees in the shade here in the river bottoms of South West Arkansas, I still feel the need to know. I do agree with you on one thing, the factory gauge was totally useless, you couldn't read it and it's small divisions, plus the location of the sensor made it read way off in the summer. It always stayed maxed out. As far a wet, I can pretty well figure that one out without a gauge....

Old 02-10-2010 | 03:54 PM
Theakerr
Tourer

I had hypothermia once and that was enough. It tool me over 1/2 hour in the shower to stop shaking. Believe me on a long ride that runs into the evening, when the temp starts to drop you do loose your sense of air temperature and body temp. My temp gauge (not the Harley imitation gauge) is there for a reason. Where did you get it? Hope you make a follow up post when you get it on the road.

Old 02-11-2010 | 10:37 AM
paco ritter
|
Cruiser

I ordered this gauge thru a local mill supply company. I don't know the cost, but I think it is less than $50. Like I stated, you have to devise a way convert 12v power to 6v for the gauge. The brand is Ashcroft 0-250* thermometer, 2" diameter. Model: 2411E. Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2010 | 06:46 PM
paco ritter
|
Cruiser

there are many sites on the internet that have this gauge available. None of them offer a price, but you can contact them for that info if interested. Be sure and ask for model 2411E, which is the 2" gauge and temp probe without power supply. The power supply they offer is 220/110/24v to 6v and of course is not usable in the motorcycle application.

A 12v to 6v regulator made for gauges is available on Ebay for $18 and should do what is needed to make this gauge work. Remember to get the one made specifically for gauges, Runtz dash gauge voltage reducer 12v to 6v, sold by Arlington Products.

You also may contact them to see if it will work in this application. Hope this info helps for all who may be intersted in acquiring one of these digital temp gauges for their bike....PACO

Old 02-11-2010 | 06:52 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Digital would be a nice way to go for a oil temp.