Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30 inch wheel on bagger! Enough said!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dang - any ethnic aspect of this custom never even crossed my mind.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ballisticcreations
I just figured i would say a few words in our defense to all who have no understanding of the large wheel concept

I don't challenge the physics. I just think it's ugly. But, I ride a Road Glide so what the hell do i know?!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:57 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

I just figured i would say a few words in our defense to all who have no understanding of the large wheel concept, first off you need to talk to engineers that have had experience with testing the 26 inch wheel on a bagger and they will tell you if your geometry is correct it will out handle and out perform any of the smaller wheels. (remember i said experience not theories) the brake control is proven to be better, the outer rotation is slower than the rear reducing any gyro effects. also tire temps and wear are lower and there is less over all vibration, the handling charicteristics are also much smoother and stable at higher speeds, they just plain ride out better, but hey keep bashing what you dont understand because it makes you sound so smart! I would also like to state that when we built the 30 inch bagger it wasn't for the wheel it was to showcase our new air system, rear section and body kits. but i can assure you it is ridable and it will be proven!
thanks.
Great! I look forward to seeing your tests. I have a PhD in engineering btw but what do I know? Agree with the pvs poster - it's ugly (and that's not science it's just my personal opinion).

I do respect you for showing up here to defend your work though - and I appreciate you trying new stuff.

Last edited by davessworks; 02-09-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Fuzzy75
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just figured i would say a few words in our defense to all who have no understanding of the large wheel concept, first off you need to talk to engineers that have had experience with testing the 26 inch wheel on a bagger and they will tell you if your geometry is correct it will out handle and out perform any of the smaller wheels. (remember i said experience not theories) the brake control is proven to be better, the outer rotation is slower than the rear reducing any gyro effects. also tire temps and wear are lower and there is less over all vibration, the handling charicteristics are also much smoother and stable at higher speeds, they just plain ride out better, but hey keep bashing what you dont understand because it makes you sound so smart! I would also like to state that when we built the 30 inch bagger it wasn't for the wheel it was to showcase our new air system, rear section and body kits. but i can assure you it is ridable and it will be proven!
thanks.
hey, not that anyone seems to care in this thread but do you have better pics of the wheel and bike. i looked on your site and its not up yet. would like to see some better pics

Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ballisticcreations,

Keep building. Not everyone likes the same thing which makes this biking stuff great!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
ballisticcreations
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well then with your phd you should understand what i am saying. i dont mind the opinions, everyone has got one and it isnt going to change the way i do things but when you throw physics and engineering into it, then i have to defend myself because we do pride ourselves in making sure the math is correct and that these bikes are rideable. i dont need anyone getting hurt or worse because i didn't do my homework.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bc, just give 'em a few years, they'll all be tellin others how their small wheels just don't look good. cattle are slow, but eventually they will all follow..

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
MDodson
Road Master

I think it looks cool as hell. I would love to have it just not for a daliy rider. It has STYLE

Old 02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

well then with your phd you should understand what i am saying. i dont mind the opinions, everyone has got one and it isnt going to change the way i do things but when you throw physics and engineering into it, then i have to defend myself because we do pride ourselves in making sure the math is correct and that these bikes are rideable. i dont need anyone getting hurt or worse because i didn't do my homework.
Sure - I take your points and agree with some of them. This is an optimization problem and it depends what you're trying to optimize and what the boundary conditions are.

What I cannot agree with, not that you are suggesting it, is that bigger will always be better.

One topic you didn't cover is the unsprung mass of the wheel and the distribution of that mass. Specifically how that may contribute to the road handling characteristics of the bike.

Another is the frame geometry with respect to the axle height from the groundand the bike's vertical center of gravity. If you want to keep growing the wheel diameter it's going to lead to some very unconventional looking suspension and frame designs.

I can see from the posted picture that this bike has a massive rake angle and I would expect the vertical travel of the suspension to be next to nothing. From a ride standpoint that may be ok for fresh highway paving but not much else.

Last edited by davessworks; 02-09-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Philly76
Cruiser

I simply look at it like a concept car at the auto show, you may never see it in production, but sure is wild to look at. Like it, love it or hate it, it is creative and that's what keeps the industry moving. For the record no one mentioned the headlights - figured I'd open a whole new can of worms...

Quick Reply: 30 inch wheel on bagger! Enough said!