Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longride windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:26 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHD03
I got the 10" light gray tint, looks like it comes back toward you instead of up, looks like a better material product than OEM, rode for most of the day with it. As soon as I got home I took it off and put the Stock OEM shield back on. Contacted Matt, told him "buffering" more than the OEM, felt like I was behind a truck for the whole ride. I like to be able to see thru the shield but was looking over it. When I tried to look thru it, the view was distorted, making straight lines look crooked. The wind was hitting me right in the middle of the face.
I am 5' 6" with a 32 inseam, have the stock seat. I sent it back that Friday and Matt said he would send me the light gray tint flip up shield 10 inch. So will see if that works better or may have to stay with the stock shield.
Matt at LRS works great with you, always got back with me, nothing bad to say about his company.
I rode for over a year on our 08 UC with a Cee Bailey SSC, one day just for the heck of it, I put the OEM on and what a difference.........that SSC was terrible. Still have the stock one on to this day, I can see in the rain, the SSC while directing most of the water far above me, the spray from below is sucked into this dead air space and you are sprayed with a fine mist that at times would sting my eyes so bad I would have to pull over, not a problem with the OEM. Just this old ***** 2 cent worth……………

Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 AM
bwr52678
Advanced

I ride a streetglide been looking at windshilds looked at windvest its nice but its made of acrlyic might crack down the road i was interested in the new one out from long ride but with all the problems i have been hearing about with that long ride sheild being devolped i said screw it i bought a 6.5 klockwerks very impressed i also was told if it ever breaks i could get a new one free

Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by dan11809
Picture of 7.25" windshield.
Nice looking w/s - similar to my Klock Werks 8.5" & yours was a tad cheaper. Might have to give this one a try...

Here's my 09 SG w/the KW:

Attached Thumbnails Longride windshield-img_1817.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 AM
cuppy
Intermediate

AT 63, Winshields are for old people. Put a full lenght on two years ago.05 RK custom. Dont feel old, But foolish for not doing it sooner. I love it cuppy

Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,617 Likes on 22,706 Posts

Boy; this is sure a much debated topic. I believe that you should not be looking through the windshield but it should be hitting you somewhere around your chin to to your lower lip. I think that if your completely like a head plus over the top of then it's not tall enough for you.

I had the KW 6.5 and sold it, after a couple hundred miles as I changed seats and sat up higher and bought a KW 8.5 as Iceman did. I don't have it mounted as of yet as I have a 9 inch Longride on it, of which I'm thinking will be just about perfect, or at least I hope so anyway. When winter begins to loosen it's grip and we get a chance to ride, I'll give a more in depth report on this subject.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM
MACHD03
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Boy; this is sure a much debated topic. I believe that you should not be looking through the windshield but it should be hitting you somewhere around your chin to to your lower lip. I think that if your completely like a head plus over the top of then it's not tall enough for you.

I had the KW 6.5 and sold it, after a couple hundred miles as I changed seats and sat up higher and bought a KW 8.5 as Iceman did. I don't have it mounted as of yet as I have a 9 inch Longride on it, of which I'm thinking will be just about perfect, or at least I hope so anyway. When winter begins to loosen it's grip and we get a chance to ride, I'll give a more in depth report on this subject.
That's why I have a windshield, so the wind will go over me, not into my face. I guess difference in opinion. Why would one have one at all if not going to use to block the wind and any debris from hitting you.
Again my opinion.
Just glad folks are riding no matter what they ride.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

When I started riding in the 60s the rule of thumb was that a windshield should be no taller than nose high. You can sit tall and see over them when they get wet or dirty, or slouch and look through them when the going is good. That has worked OK for me for several decades and almost half a million miles!

All this talk of modern aerodynamic shields is very well for some of you, but none of them are available for early bikes with the trusty old glassfibre batwing. I'm feeling left out....