Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Gauges to replace "Ambient Air Temp" Guage

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:36 PM
FLHX
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Temp Gauges to replace "Ambient Air Temp" Guage

So with the HD unit, it goes inline on the oil line. How noticeable is it when you're looking at the bike? Anyone got any pics of it installed?

Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM
No.... they are not as accurate, and they are prone to failure.

More importantly, you can not read them while you're riding. I can say, from experience, that if my guage reads 210 while riding in the Interstate.... by the time I can exit and come to a stop on the svc road, the temp can fall as much as 10 degrees. If you have to stop to read it, you'll never know what it was while you were riding.

I've had the McEwan on two baggers and a Dakota Digital on another. My preference is the McEwan ~ the one Wally's carries.
I've also got the Roger McEwan/Wally's gauge and I love it. I saw something neat happen just yesterday too. The wife and I put about 440 miles on yesterday; and while we were running down the road the oil temp was just a bit under 200* [engine guard-oil cooler equipped]...then we hit a brief downpour for about two miles. I had just looked at the temp prior to hitting the rain, and I looked down again as we came out the other side...THE TEMP DROPPED 30* TO JUST BELOW 170* WITHIN A COUPLE MINUTES!!....the water spray on the underside of the oil pan must suck the heat right out of these things.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:31 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can do like I did and get the HD guage and install (will need a 50cent bushing) it in the oil pan. Wondering what they are doing for the oil gauge for the 07's - cause the 07's don't have the oil lines exposed - i.e. might want to look into an 07 Oil gauge?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:02 PM
gmjhd
Cruiser

Hi, I have Wally`s, not hard to put in,works great, 85 degrees in GA. today it read on freeway 200 degrees, drops about 10 degrees at end of ramp getting off. Go ahead " You can do it."

Old 09-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Smitty
Cruiser

I installed the Wallys oil temp gauge on my '06 Ultra and have no regrets. The air temp gauge was a joke, especially here in AZ. The oi temp gauge wasn't an easy install....at least not for me. There wasn't much room inside the fairing to get your fingers in, which caused a lot of aggravation. I kept dropping hardware and then had to search and retrieve them. Overall I would highly recommend getting the gauge. Given that we ride air cooled bikes it's nice to keep an eye on the oil temp to see if any problems are occurring. Mine normally runs between 210-220 during the day. Have fun!