Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Gauges to replace "Ambient Air Temp" Guage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temp Gauges to replace "Ambient Air Temp" Guage

ORIGINAL: dawg

Are the LED dipstick oil temp jobbies just as accurate? Seems like it would be less of a hassle to put in a new dipstick with a guage, just my .02. But, as with everything else on here I will probably put this shabang on my wish list for future mods[]
No.... they are not as accurate, and they are prone to failure.

More importantly, you can not read them while you're riding. I can say, from experience, that if my guage reads 210 while riding in the Interstate.... by the time I can exit and come to a stop on the svc road, the temp can fall as much as 10 degrees. If you have to stop to read it, you'll never know what it was while you were riding.

I've had the McEwan on two baggers and a Dakota Digital on another. My preference is the McEwan ~ the one Wally's carries.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:19 AM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the HD guage in the inner fairing. Works great. I know several people who have had the dip stick model stolen. I was in Charleston at a hotel and three were stolen in one night.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Spartan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: valvestem

The Wally's one has a sending unit that attaches in/to the oil pan, the HD gauge uses an inline adaptor with a sending unit installed in the adaptor.
I bought the HD gauge and will be installing the sensor where the extra drain plug is. You can buy a brass fitting at ACE Hardware for about $2 and can install the HD gauge using the wires from the ambient air gauge. The dealer knocked 20% off MSRP, so I paid $106 + tax.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:30 AM
FLHX
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So other than price, is there any difference between Wally's and HD's gage?

ORIGINAL: valvestem

The Wally's one has a sending unit that attaches in/to the oil pan, the HD gauge uses an inline adaptor with a sending unit installed in the adaptor.

What's the deal with the inline adapter on the HD unit? Sounds like it can be attached into the oil pan just like Wally's. Is it supposed to go some where else? Does one hang down any lower than the other? Any chance of breaking if I bottom out on a speed bump?

Just trying to get some insight and decide on which one to go with.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:00 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I own and run a Rodger McEwan = he is the Maker of most of the guages you find in the books... His Customer service is 110%. I lost my inst for the wiring. Look up his number, called left a message - he called back and helped me out - then a week later he called again to see if all was working right. the link below talks about his spun alum guages, but if you do a search on his name, you will learn more.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_158029/mp.../tm.htm#158029

Old 09-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Alamo
Advanced

Just had the piece of ambient sh** replaced with the white face oil gauge on my 06 SG. Works great. Anyone want an ambient temp guage for their bike? What a waste of space. In houston, the damn air temp thing always read 120. Even in December.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Dogs of war
Road Captain

Does anyone know where the temp is taken with the air guage? That thing has NEVER been right. It always seems to be close to 100 degrees or better. Anybody know?

Old 09-09-2006, 03:32 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the diff is...as TxBowHunter pointed out to me just to ruin my good thing...is that the needle on the Wally gauge does not perfectly match the HD needles on the other gauge...i'd been runnin it for a few months, til he just HAD to point it out [:@]

but the HD gauge is a pain to install if you put the sensor in the oil line where they tell you...unless you got girlie fingers

Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 AM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on putting in an oil gauge on my next oil change, but when I had the faring off installing the MP3 Player, I relocated the Air Temp sensor to under the faring where it gets air movement all the time.

I still dont like it, but at least I get a semi accuracte read on the temp outside... HOT

Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

the air temp is taken from inside the fairing - when you remove it - follow the wires and you will see a very small box with a wire coming out of it and going to the air temp - this is your sensor...

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Gauges to replace "Ambient Air Temp" Guage