Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Limited Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:58 PM
DeputyMike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra Limited Bumper Removal

I want to remove the ugly bumpers from my bike. It looks like I can get the darn bolts okay, but noticed the brackets had little tabs on them that make it impossible to get a socket on them. Is there an easy way around this? Is it necessary to buy the bracket for the rear?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
pnehms123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 2008, I used a long-handled straight screwdriver and flattened them to get at the bolt. I went thru the rim, and was able to get them. you can rebend them from the outside when done. A major improvement from stock...I haven't done the rear bumper though. Awesome bike you have.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
DeputyMike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnehms123
on my 2008, I used a long-handled straight screwdriver and flattened them to get at the bolt. I went thru the rim, and was able to get them. you can rebend them from the outside when done. A major improvement from stock...I haven't done the rear bumper though. Awesome bike you have.
Thanks pnehms!

Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
sgriff1249
Advanced

According to the dealer, if you remove the rear bumper it will have to be replace with a support bracket.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

On the front, bend back the tabs and you should be able to get it done without removing the wheel although it can be a pain just work from opposing sides. The rear is a piece of pie and I dare say YES, you'll need to purchase the bracket for the rear fender.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgriff1249
According to the dealer, if you remove the rear bumper it will have to be replace with a support bracket.
You beat me to it. I kinda like the rear bumper on my '09.

Last edited by shortride; 09-17-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

You should not need the support bracket after removal of the rear bumper. That is only up to 08 models. IIRC, the 09's have a different rear setup and you can take off the bumper without buying the support bracket. I took both off my 08 and like the look. I also used a flat blade and bent the tabs back. Did it all without having to remove the tire.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:33 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yup, bend the tabs fer da front...no need to put that cheap azz 'bracket' thingy back after. the rear, 09's and 10's have the hidden bracket...pull the bumber and seperate the bracket, reinstall.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pnehms123
This was the exact technique I used for the front bumper and yes you need th hidden bracket for the rear to tie the saddlebag support rails together.

Tim

edit----forgot about the 09 10 frame change---only need rear bracket of 08 and earlier

Last edited by Oldman Harley; 02-07-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger
On the front, bend back the tabs and you should be able to get it done without removing the wheel although it can be a pain just work from opposing sides. The rear is a piece of pie and I dare say YES, you'll need to purchase the bracket for the rear fender.
How long does it take to do it this way? I just removed my front wheel, which simplifies matters greatly. It doesn't take more than 15 minutes to r&r the front wheel, so why bother with a work-around? With the wheel off, it only takes a couple of minutes to remove the bumper.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of work-arounds if it saves time. I would get all kinds of frustrated trying to get at the inside of the fender with the wheel still on the bike.

Quick Reply: Ultra Limited Bumper Removal