Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ABS worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:31 PM
redhwk44
|
Road Master
Default Is ABS worth it?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2010 Ultra this week and would like the opinion of all those who have ABS:
1. Do you think it has ever helped you in an emergency situation? 2. What were the facts leading up to the situation?
3. Would you spend the $845 again if you were buying another bike?
I am having a hard time justifying the money on it, I have been riding for 25 years and I can honestly say that ABS would not have helped me in any situation... so far. Basically, I don't need to hear the sales pitches, just the facts.

Jeff

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:35 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by redhwk44
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2010 Ultra this week and would like the opinion of all those who have ABS:
1. Do you think it has ever helped you in an emergency situation? 2. What were the facts leading up to the situation?
I am having a hard time justifying the money on it, I have been riding for 25 years and I can honestly say that ABS would not have helped me in any situation... so far. Basically, I don't need to hear the sales pitches, just the facts.

Jeff
I got it for resale value if nothing else...Plus if it saves your life once, is your life worth $845???

Nothing more to say............

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:41 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by redhwk44

Jeff
I would say the only way ABS wouldn't have helped in any situation, is if you have never had an accident on a bike....
I can sit here and say the same thing, I have been riding for nearly 35 yrs on the road, accumulated over 300,000 miles on two wheels. I have never hit anyone or anything, so I guess ABS would never have helped me either, (I HAVE flat spotted a tire two different times. (Skidded probably 80' each time) Interstate speeds, and panic stops at 70+)
So, it wouldn't have "Saved" me either, but it may have saved a couple tires....
Now, IMHO, I am glad I have it on this bike. It's the first one with it, and if I only use it ONE TIME, it's worth it to me....

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:45 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain

I chose not to buy it. I had two incidents requiring full brake stops. Both times the rear wheel locked and slid several feet. With ABS I'd bet I could have stopped 2-3 feet sooner, but it wouldn't have made a difference in those cases. With more experience on the Ultra I would have been better at controlling the rear brake too.

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:47 PM
Wild Wes FLHRC08
Stage I

go to u tube and see some sliding touring bikes u will know then it is worth it.

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:51 PM
sinbadjmu
Cruiser

Resale + plus that one chance I'll need the ABS = worth it to me. Its been proven that you can reproduce shorter stops with the non-ABS bikes in dry/ideal conditions. But this takes much practice and very good control of your rear brake. Id rather not rely on my gross motorskills in a panic situation to get me through, nevermind gravel/sand on the road, wet roads, etc. But hey, your mileage may vary!

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:53 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

Yes Yes Yes it is totaly worth it,probably the best safety option Harley ever offered.If you don't get it you'll forever wonder why.

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:54 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

I was a naysayer for years but as it comes as standard issue on bikes sent downunder I had no choice.
I haven't used it in anger yet and hope I never have to but while testing and learning how the system reacts I realized I wouldn't do without it.
It's one more thing you DON'T have to think about while implementing your "accident exit strategy"-- just get on them and look for a way out/around....

Old 02-07-2010 | 05:00 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior

never considered them until I rented a 09SG in nov of 08 in az. Was running down a mountain pass near tucson when I encountered sand in a critical braking area (sharp turn/ major dropoff) got on the brakes hard while thinking ohs**t the bike tracked straight and true not missing a beat. Without ABS I'm sure I would've locked up the tires and put er in the weeds. Got them on my new SG and after a period of adjustment and practice time in the parking lot I'll never have a bike without them. Been riding 30+ years without didn't feel I needed them either, but now I ride in the rain with confidence that I'll be able to stop if I need too

Last edited by flhxkiller; 02-07-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2010 | 05:02 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Yes, Piece of mind knowing I can grab a handful of brake and stop without skidding and possibly going down, worth it to me! Go on youtube and watch the video. Those are professional riders doing the test.

Quick Reply: Is ABS worth it?