Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ABS worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010 | 05:07 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

I've had to lock them down a few times in the past year plus, including riding for two days in the rain on the way back from Sturgis this summer. I feel it helped me considerably keeping the bike straight and upright.

Old 02-07-2010 | 05:18 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Absolutely. Hadn't ridden in many years so I looked for ABS. Anything to help in an unforeseen situation. Here's the video that comes with the bike when you buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOWX8nZcXDI

Old 02-07-2010 | 05:28 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Don't know. I've had my Ultra Classic with ABS for 5 days and haven't ridden it yet. I've never had a scooter with ABS but I'm going to finding out in a little while. That is when this wet weather clears up.

Last edited by shortride; 02-08-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2010 | 05:29 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member

As inexpensive as ABS is it is well worth it. Used mine a couple times and rear whell never locked up.

Old 02-07-2010 | 05:39 PM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer

i'm with every one else.they are worth the money.had a panic stop last year when a car pulled in front of me and there was no way i would of stoped with out it.you can just grab a hand full and you will stop.plus you won't lock up the rear tire and slide.plus we tried it out early in the year on a parking lot coverd in sand and it worked perfect.i will get it again

Old 02-07-2010 | 06:30 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain

What is it now, one against and everybody else for? I beleive if you are in a panic stop there is no one that could outbrake ABS and if you are in a corner the rear brakes are touchy to say the least. ABS should be standard on all models.

Old 02-07-2010 | 07:06 PM
Neal Smith
Cruiser

I had a2001 Fatboy and decided to buy a 2009 sg. I found one that had abs so I took it did not think much of abs because before the Fatboy all I ever had was rear brake choppers. Well the first week I got the bike I was in a rain storm a car pulled out in front of me and stopped I was traveling at about 55 mph. I grabbed the brakes they started to pulses first instinct is to let off but I didn't. The bike came to a straight stop I was impressed. If it were my Fatboy at the least it would have been all over or sideways looking for the median. From my opinion I would buy the abs once you need them you will be glad of your purchase trust me I am a cheap bastard.

Old 02-07-2010 | 07:17 PM
redhwk44
|
Road Master

Hey, Enterprise... I didn't hear a F#ckin' word you said( nice pic )! Anyway, all kidding aside. I have been as I said earlier riding for 25 years and not one time can I say that ABS would have helped me. I have been in 2 accidents and ABS would not have mattered. I have had cages pull right out in front of me and I have actually locked up the rear and kept the bike on two wheels. Right now I am considering adding ABS only for the resale benefit as stated earlier by HDV-Glide.

Old 02-07-2010 | 07:18 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

I have had a panic stop where I hit a cast iron manhole cover. The brakes started puslating and I stopped quickly. I will not have any bike with out it.

Old 02-07-2010 | 08:17 PM
jopanic
Intermediate

abs was standard on my cvo sg but I definitely would have gotten it as an option. i figure if it saves my butt once its worth it.

Quick Reply: Is ABS worth it?