Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifts v. Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lifts v. Jacks

Struggling with buying a lift table or not. Don't really have the room but can make it work. And, I have always wanted one. So please give your opinions as to:

1. Why you prefer a table over a jack, or a jack over the table
2. What, if anything, you can do on the table you can't do using a jack (careful here!), or the other way around.

THIS IS NOT A "WHICH JACK IS BEST THREAD", please stay on topic if possible!

Thanks....

Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have room for a "table" buy it.
I on the other hand, do not....so I use my neighbors table.
I store my bikes on jacks over the winter, that's why I own jacks.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:28 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much wrenching are you going to do? I don't really have the room for a table and think my money is better spent elsewhere, so my cheap jack works just fine for me.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I have a Jack and enjoyed it very much it got me off the floor and I was pleased..Thought I would never spend the money for a Table and then built the 2nd garage and had the room for the table..So now everything is eye level when on the table and I can secure the bike a bit better

Last edited by Captain Itch; 02-07-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Chilibiker
Advanced
Default Used to have a lift table

Got a new one off craigslist for about $450. Ended up selling it for $475. I miss it (dearly at times) but it seemed to take up too much space in *my* garage. At first, I figured I would park the bike on it all the time, but that became too much hassle on a daily basis.

So I propped it against a wall, figuring I could just take it down when I wanted to work on the bike. DON'T DO THIS! It's a good way to lose some fingers, or worse. The thing weighed as much a refrigerator!

If we had a 3-car instead of a 2-car garage, I'd definitely get another one. I wouldn't bother with the air option again, though, the foot pump worked just fine.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:43 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think a frame lift is far more versatile. If I had a table, I'd likely use it no more than a few times a year. I get much more use outta my frame lift. Heck, I use it everytime I wash the bike.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM
rdoucet
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a lift and and a jack; I love the lift table but it is taking up valuable space in my two car garage. The benefit of a lift table is that I can have everything at eye level and not be bent over or lying on the floor when using my jack (although the jack does lift the bike off the ground 18 inches).

I may have to get rid of the table and just use the portable jack due to space limitations; with my wifes car in the garage, my bikes and our seven year old sons toys and bikes, the space could better be used. If I ever get a 3 car garage, I for sure would have a lift.

Hope this helps

Old 02-07-2010, 03:50 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

I have a jack, but no table. I use my jack for maintenance, cleaning the bike, and store the bike on it during the Nebraska winter months. Dollar for dollar the jack I found my jack to be well worth the costs. Going with a table down the road.

Jack advantage/disadvantage:
- Costs less than a table
- Takes up less room than a table
- Has wheels and is portable, can move jack with the bike on it
- Can be used for maintenance, cleaning the bike, and winter storage to keep weight off the suspension, wheels, and tires
- Can jack the bike up and spin the wheels
- Does not jack the bike up as high as a table, up to roughly 18"
- Less stable than a table
- Usually have to get onto the floor to work on the bike

Table advantage/disadvantage:
- Way more stable than a jack
- Can jack bike up to working level, some tables can go up to around 4-5'
- Can be used for maintenance, cleaning the bike, and winter storage
- Cannot spin the wheels. However, can use a sissors jack on the table to take the weight off the suspension and wheels. End up with the same stability issues as the jacks.
- Cost more than a jack
- Not really portable with a bike on the table, but saw a couple with wheels

Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had both...gave away the table after using it only once...It was a decent table, but I simply didn't need it in my way. Even If I had a ten car garage, I still wouldn't buy another lift table.

It ended up being nothing more than just another work bench when elevated, or a trip hazzard when lowered, and a bitch to move around.

I quickly discovered that once on the table, I needed a jack to lift the scoot off the table....duh! So I bought a top rated jack that lifts my bikes really high and stable and ain't never missed the table.

I also discovered I had to ride the bike up on the table, whereas all I had to do with a jack was slide my jack under my scoot and could then roll it anywhere I pleased.

I made yet another discovery....you don't really save money buying a jack vs a table. You can get a decent table for 300 bucks but pay 400 or more for a decent jack, so don't consider cost because any jack less that 300 is a piece of junk compared to a J&S or Pitbull. I know you didn't want us to mention 'which jack is better' but it has to be mentioned because not all are created equal for the money.

I have 3 new HD scooters, and I'm always modding them. Some mods involve total teardowns where my jack is all that is required.

Buy a table if you want, but don't expect anyone here to offer a truely valid reason for it.

Last edited by oinker02; 02-07-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

A table lift would be nice, but space limitations won't allow it. My J&S jack allows me to do most anything I need to do, mostly cleaning, routine maintenance, and storing in winter. If I had the space, I would probably get a lift, not because I could justify buying it, just because I would have the space! If you can only get one or if you have space limitations, I would recommend getting a good jack.

Quick Reply: Lifts v. Jacks