Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 to SE103 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
cmzx9r
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 to SE103 build

I had posted in another thread some pics of my tear down on my stock 88”.
The reason for the build was my bike had gotten a bad vibration and after checking the stock crank it was found to have 0.010 runout .

I found dealer on Ebay selling a SE 103” stroker kit for $1700.00 shipped. After receiving the kit I sent the crank out to Revolution Performance to have it trued and welded. Runout after there work was less then 0.001. A few other upgrades I decided to do was to go with the SE heavy duty lefty bearing, the new billet cam plate kit with hydraulic tensioner and high volume oil pump, and the hydraulic primary chain adjuster.

Tear down pics.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 AM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Some pics of it going back together.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us updated....

Last edited by 1sweetglide08; 02-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!! Thanks for the pics!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Forgot to mention I already had Vance and Hines dresser duals with SE street performance mufflers and a PCIII.

Well the engine kit came with the DOT approved CVO 4 inch cat mufflers with end caps witch look really nice but are as quiet as stock. So on the advice of a bunch of guys on the CVO Forum I replaced the stock baffles with ones from Fullsac performance.

Can’t wait to start it up and hear it run!

http://www.fullsac.com/

Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Nice pics, looks good. Your cheating, I see parts being bagged and tagged and the parts manual.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Originally Posted by mainshaft
Nice pics, looks good. Your cheating, I see parts being bagged and tagged and the parts manual.
You got that right. I bagged and tagged every nut and bolt I took off this thing and probably spent more time reading and rereading that manual just to make sure I got everything right. This was my first venture into rebuilding a motor,” motorcycle or car” I have ever done. Other then a piston and rings in a 2 stroke and doing valve adjustments on my old CBR and GSXR.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice work and pics!

I have a couple questions about this rebuild. 1.) Is that the stock crank, or does it come with another crankshaft? 2.) Does the stock cases have to be bored out for this kit? 3.) When can you start on my bike? ..... just jokin'

Thanks!

Jim

Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
Very nice work and pics!

I have a couple questions about this rebuild. 1.) Is that the stock crank, or does it come with another crankshaft? 2.) Does the stock cases have to be bored out for this kit? 3.) When can you start on my bike? ..... just jokin'

Thanks!

Jim
Thanks!

The kit came with the stroker crank. Same stroke as the new 96” motors. Basically the kit consists of all the parts you would need to turn a pre 2007 motor into the same one that came in the CVO Screamin Eagle bikes. No case boring was required. It’s completely bolt in. I think you only have to bore the cases when you go 110” or larger.

Link to the kit.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Hope this helps.
Chris

Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM
62pan
Advanced
Cool 88 to 103 build

Sure looks great and almost done ! Let me know how it runs, I'm just now done with ordering part's. Went with the SE forged crank - getting the se 103 heads cleaned up too. [ya just don't need all that powder coat in the port's and combustion chamber, It can't help flow much and that crap hangs on forever] going to have RP do the crank - Forged pistons - up dated to late model cam plate with hyd. chain tensioners and late oil pump, Going with the cvo 255 cams instead of the 253 cams [I'm grinding down the end's to fit my .875 bearings as the new style cam's are 1.000 on the ends - I checked and they are hardened through out, So grinding the .125 off will be OK, I want the off the line torque the 255 cams make] being a high lift set up went with the se roller rockers - se tapered quick adjust push rods - se cly. stud set - se lefty bearing - 08 Bub 7 true duel's with cross over balance [for low end pull] and rinehart mufflers - zippers tunder max ecm with auto tune. Baker DD6 trans. Alot of coin to put in a 04 ultra But way cheaper than a new bike. Now I have to find the time to get started on it. But I finaly got my plan in order !

Quick Reply: 88 to SE103 build