Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Lowers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011 | 06:53 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member

Night & day differences with the lower fairing!

Ride Safe.

YB

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Lowers Installed-yellowbird-068.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011 | 07:30 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1953riderforlife
I know this is an old post but I am just now getting lowers for my '05 Roadie. My hope is that they will reduce or eliminate the turbulance in the cockpit. I know a lot of folks have tried changing windshields to deal with this but when I ride, I can feel the wind coming up from below the fairing into my body and swirling. I am convinced a new windshield will make little difference. So, trying the lowers.

Anyone notice a difference when they installed the lowers?

Peace,
James
You will notice a huge difference. I added the RG Lowers (non-vented) to my 07 way back with the Clearview Med. Windshield. Wasn't the same bike after that.

Old 06-16-2011 | 07:33 AM
Jags93
Road Master

For those with '09 and earlier models go for the fairing bracket swap to fit the vented lowers. It is not a bad project. There are no hard steps. In fact there are a few steps you can bypass altogether like disconnecting the ignition switch harness. Although the service manual said you have to to remove the upper fairing bracket, I did not.
Watch out you don't cover the zerk fitting with the new bracket. Someone with an earlier model had this issue. You might have to drill an access hole in the bracket.

Old 06-16-2011 | 07:41 AM
Jags93
Road Master

here are the part #'s I used for vivid Black vented lowers:

58530-10 fairing mount
58454-10 chrome lower mount L
58460-10 chrome lower mount R
58854-09 vented lower fairings includes glove boxes/lids.

While you are at it why not change out to the redesigned radio caddy ( eliminates the cutting into the fairing)

Radio Caddy
Part # 77078-98a

There is some good info on this site regarding this swap. It sure helped me.

Old 06-16-2011 | 08:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SharkBite
I'm confused on the part numbers I guess...I wanted to add vented lowers to my 2010 Road Glide and was told the part number was 58854-09bym. Can anybody tell me if this is correct? I didn't realize there may be a different style or part number.
the bym shows that it is denim black. for some strange reason, the denim black ones are cheaper than the vivid black ones (from the discount places, msrp is the same). for good pricing, check jon.horton@hornytoadhd.com

Originally Posted by 1953riderforlife
I know this is an old post but I am just now getting lowers for my '05 Roadie. My hope is that they will reduce or eliminate the turbulance in the cockpit. I know a lot of folks have tried changing windshields to deal with this but when I ride, I can feel the wind coming up from below the fairing into my body and swirling. I am convinced a new windshield will make little difference. So, trying the lowers.

Anyone notice a difference when they installed the lowers?

Peace,
James
a huge difference. when i have the lowers on, i can ride with an overshirt on unbuttened and it doesn't blow in the wind. without the lowers, it flaps behind me like a parachute. you are gonna have to go with the unvented type (which are actually more expensive, plus you have to add the gloveboxes) or, better yet, do the 2010 fairing mod, part numbers are shown above, and then you'll be able to use the vented ultra lowers. i would also recommend using the wind deflectors. online it doesn't mention that it will fit your bike, but on the box it does. blocks a lot of the wind coming up from down under

Last edited by skratch; 06-16-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2011 | 09:32 AM
black02flht
Novice

Originally Posted by Jags93
here are the part #'s I used for vivid Black vented lowers:

58530-10 fairing mount
58454-10 chrome lower mount L
58460-10 chrome lower mount R
58854-09 vented lower fairings includes glove boxes/lids.

While you are at it why not change out to the redesigned radio caddy ( eliminates the cutting into the fairing)

Radio Caddy
Part # 77078-98a

There is some good info on this site regarding this swap. It sure helped me.
Looking at the Radio Caddy part number it implies that it came out in 98. How is it different. I have a 07 RG and I would assume that it would have had the latest bracket.

Oh by the way, on my 07 I did have to notch the new mounting bracket to allow access to the zerk fitting.

Old 06-16-2011 | 10:36 AM
Jags93
Road Master

Oops sorry about the part number on the radio caddy. This may have been a 2011 model year upgrade.

Old 06-16-2011 | 11:58 AM
sanlyn
Road Master

Picked up mine at Zanotti's, and yes, the denim black were cheaper than the other colors. made a huge difference on my bike (already had the Windvest).

Old 06-16-2011 | 01:17 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Will these parts fit a bike as old as mine (90) or do I need different ones? I am able to wrench no problem, I just need to know what parts to get. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2011 | 03:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by D1gger
Will these parts fit a bike as old as mine (90) or do I need different ones? I am able to wrench no problem, I just need to know what parts to get. Thanks.

i've got a huge list of them for you. by the time you get done putting them together, you'll have a 2010

according to the hd website:

Control the air-flow to your lower legs for maximum riding comfort. These Color-Matched Fairing Lowers feature a venting system that allows you to adjust the amount of air that circulates across the engine. On hot days, open the vent to direct additional cooling air and on cold or rainy days, close the vents for maximum protection from the elements. The ratcheting friction lock pivot allows you to easily set the position. The complete kit includes left and right Fairing Lowers, convenient glove box and lid, and all necessary mounting hardware. Glove Box Doors are sold separately. Fits '83-later Touring and Trike models (except '98-'09 FLTR). Stock on FLHTCU, FLHTK and FLHTCUTG, '10-11 FLHXSE and FLHXXX models require the installation of Engine Guard P/N 49066-09 or 49050-09, screw P/N 4924 (2), washer P/N 2708A (1). Will not fit the Mustache Engine Guards. NOTE: Fairing Lower Kits are painted in a single color and do not feature pinstriping.

Last edited by skratch; 06-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Lowers Installed