Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing spoked wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sealing spoked wheels?

Is there any way to seal the spokes on a RK Classic? Or, do I have to buy new sealed spoke wheels to go tubeless?

JR

Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

There are some company's out there that can,I checked into that when I had a RKC,but the question I have is can the wheel be trued again after it's done? Never got an answer.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Question Sealant?

I'm thinking more in terms of what can I do myself to seal my spoked wheels and go tubless. What would happen if I just took a tube of polyurethane sealant/adhesive, like 3M's "5200", and laid a thin bead (or smear)around the inside of the wheel where the spokes come through.

Would I have a sealed wire wheel?

JR

Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-Boston
What would happen if I just took a tube of polyurethane sealant/adhesive, like 3M's "5200", and laid a thin bead (or smear)around the inside of the wheel where the spokes come through.

IWould I have a sealed wire wheel?

JR
My guess is you would have a big mess, but I'm not sure. Keep us posted...

Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
TexasTim
Intermediate

I'm thinking more in terms of what can I do myself to seal my spoked wheels and go tubless. What would happen if I just took a tube of polyurethane sealant/adhesive, like 3M's "5200", and laid a thin bead (or smear)around the inside of the wheel where the spokes come through.

Would I have a sealed wire wheel?

JR
That wouldn't work because the stresses associated with the wheel turning and you navigating using the wheel are much greater than the ability of the poly to stick to the inner wall of the wheel. Within minutes of riding it the sealant would be breached somewhere and you would have a flat tire. It takes a special sealant that can handle both forward movement and side-to-side stresses, without cracking, for the life of the wheel.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen it done on car wheels,and it seem's to have worked,I don't think I would take a chance with a MC wheel,tire suddenty go flat could be fatal !!!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there any way to seal the spokes on a RK Classic? Or, do I have to buy new sealed spoke wheels to go tubeless?

JR
As usual, DAWG has the correct answer.

I too have an RKC with laced wheels and have researched this topic extensively. My research revealed there is no off-the-shelf products that normal guys can apply which will do a safe and effective job.

Several american Aftermarket wheel makers(Ride Wright, DNA) produce laced wheels that they will also seal as an option. Those guys have a very high success ratio with hardly any problems associated with leaks. They use some rather proprietary tech and sealing materials simply not available to us.

The guy Dawg linked to is one of the few who will risk sealing OEM wheels. I'm certain he has developed some sort of special prep tech and has sourced the required materials, plus gained the experience required to provide the service and assume all the risks associated.

All that said...............My choice is to find a decent pair of quality cast/forged wheels that are both affordable and retain that 'classic' spoked look....

Recently, my dealer showed me a set of forged spoke wheels(yeah, I said forged spoked wheels) they are PERFECT!.....They look exactly like Ride Wrights Fat Daddy 50 spoke wheels, but they are totally solid machined forgings

I failed to make a note of who made them, tho......Now that I've decided to go with those wheels, I'll get with the dealer and have him identify them for me....once I get that info I'll share it here.

Last edited by oinker02; 02-05-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 664 Likes on 529 Posts

removing such a sealer to tighten loose spokes or true a wheel would be an even bigger mess.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be interested in know who makes/sells those. Thanks!

>Recently, my dealer showed me a set of forged spoke wheels(yeah, I said forged spoked wheels) they are PERFECT!.....They look exactly like Ride Wrights Fat Daddy 50 spoke wheels, but they are totally solid machined forgings

Quick Reply: Sealing spoked wheels?