Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide Lighting Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadglide Lighting Options

I must be dense or just plain slow, but I've read so many threads and visited so many sites about lights to the point I no longer have a clue. Seriously, I'd like to enhance my Roadglide lights to improve my night riding visibility. Not so much can you see me, but rather increase what I can see without blinding on-coming traffic.

concernig HIDs, that seems like a big crap shoot, lot's o light out there but no promise the HID lights will fit the OEM assembley and project the light where it is needed.

Motolights will light the area but not necesssarily way out front where I want.

Fog lamps (PIAA and others) are also questionable as too projection and blinding on coming traffic.

Up grading to various H-4 bulbs may or may not melt the OEM assemply and or OEM wireing.

If I boost the stock bulbs is a relay required(or not) to prevent melting the headlight assembley and OEM wiring harness?

Did I netion I am totally, baffled and confused.

so no BS, some no chit practical experience observations and real life experiance will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by oley55; 02-04-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM
tjs529
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of hids 2 years ago and installed the bi xenon bulbs 35w 6000k color. I am very happy as I can drive with my low beams on at night and dont really need the high beams anymore. they were a little tricky to make everything fit in my DYNA but I ordered the same ones for my ROAD GLIDE and there is moore than enough room inside the faring.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Search threads here. A while back there was some really good info on light for Road Glides.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try getting the Euro reflector for you Road Glide, much better focused beam and some of the Moco's Hi performance xenon bulbs, stay away from those blue tinted ones on e-bay as they are useless! That was the upgrade I made for the same reasons you stated and have been pretty happy. when you pull your fairing to make the change of your bulbs pick up this headlight plate from the 2010 Road Glide and you won't have to take your fairing off to change bulbs any more! It's a PITA!!!

Headlight mounting plate....#67959-10...around $29 @ Chicago Harley

Adjusting screws...67980-10...around $4.70 ea...you'll need 3... also from Chicago Harley

Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the HID kit I used. Have had it over a year...no problems...great lighting.

http://www.xenonlink.com/H4+Bi-Xenon...enon+6000K.htm

Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys, I really do appreciate hearing your experiences and advice with lighting options..

Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a HID kit from forum member FASTHARLEY. Installing his kit doesnt require any modifications to your exsisting wires or mounting for your stock bulbs.

Howard sells the kit with everything you need but the BOSH style relay. I wired my HIDs to the accessory switch. I love mine and how they light up the road at night. If you buy from Howard and tell him your a forum member he will help you with any questions you have about wiring it up.

Heres Howards website >>> http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage1.html

Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbos440rt
Try getting the Euro reflector for you Road Glide, much better focused beam and some of the Moco's Hi performance xenon bulbs, stay away from those blue tinted ones on e-bay as they are useless! That was the upgrade I made for the same reasons you stated and have been pretty happy. when you pull your fairing to make the change of your bulbs pick up this headlight plate from the 2010 Road Glide and you won't have to take your fairing off to change bulbs any more! It's a PITA!!!

Headlight mounting plate....#67959-10...around $29 @ Chicago Harley

Adjusting screws...67980-10...around $4.70 ea...you'll need 3... also from Chicago Harley

I spoke with a buddy who is a longtime Harley parts manager about the Euro light bezel and he told me the difference with Euro light assembly is in Europe they ride on the left side of the road. They designed it for that application. He didnt think there would be enough adjustment in the Euro assembly to get the light pattern to spread enough back to the right

Old 02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Your buddy does not know that the Euro reflectors came in two styles, one for right lane driving, and the other for left lane driving. The right lane units are now discontinued.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbos440rt
Try getting the Euro reflector for you Road Glide, much better focused beam

Impossible to get now. I had a line on supposedly the last one that was available in the US. Vintage Parts (a division of HD) was supposed to have one in stock. My dealer ordered it but they could not locate it in their inventory.

Quick Reply: Roadglide Lighting Options