Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any body have the rear lowering blocks as opposed to the shorter shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any body have the rear lowering blocks as opposed to the shorter shocks?

I have these lowering blocks and im considering putting them on but a few people are telling me that they will cause too much stress on the air pressure of my rear shocks on my 01 electraglide. Has any body use these lowering shocks and if so, how long have you had them on.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain

I have the road6customs lowering installed on my 09 SG and my 05 FLHT. Th 09 has the short (12 inch) shocks as well. I am not aware of any air pressure related issues other than making sure you have the right amount of air for your weight and passengers, baggage, etc... I run 40PSI in the SG and 20 in the FLHT. No issues with me and the wife with combined weight approx. 320.

Dave

Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
1bagman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the angle that is a concern. Some lowering blocks don't come with spacers. If you don't have spacers it'll put alot of stress on your mounts and may cause them to fail. I have lowering blocks on my bagger and I have 24000 miles on them but they are installed correctly. Me and the wife have a combined weight of around 260 lbs and I run around 30 psi in my rear shocks.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Moving the lower shock mount to the rear will lower the leverage the swingarm has over the shocks a little bit , this may make the ride slightly more firm if the pressure is kept at the same as before, big disclaimer here "May" make the ride "Slightly" more firm.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put on Pingel lowering blocks when I got my 08 FLHT. I now have over 44,000 miles with many long trips,(one coast to coast) Rides very well. If you use lowering blocks make sure they are steel. I had a buddy used aluminum ones on a metric and the threads pulled out of one.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bagman
Its the angle that is a concern. Some lowering blocks don't come with spacers. If you don't have spacers it'll put alot of stress on your mounts and may cause them to fail. I have lowering blocks on my bagger and I have 24000 miles on them but they are installed correctly. Me and the wife have a combined weight of around 260 lbs and I run around 30 psi in my rear shocks.
Eat something will ya bagman, combined 260 lbs, sheesh!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Oregon Deuce
Advanced

I have adjustable blocks on my RG Dropped it 1 1/4" But i only weigh 145 and always ride solo

Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

bump it up

Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

I weight 225 and my wife weighs about 160

Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
p.t.r.
Novice

I put lowering brackets (1.5") on my 06' Road King and LOVED IT, for about 7 months. Loved the way it handled, loved the look and had no problems until I bottomed out a couple of times on some dips. BUT, I then took my with to the R.O.T. (Republic of Texas) ride and we hit a small dip doing 65 and shredded my wiring harness under the rear fender. Harley, in their infinite wisdom routed the harness directly over the tire (instead of off to the side....) and was up till 4:00 that morning re-wiring my rear end. Stuck my hand up under the fender and it was like grabbing a handfull of hair. Lots of soldering, splicing in new wires, heat shrink and double sided tape. No problem with the air in the shocks but don't go more than an inch if you're planning on riding 2 up. I took them off and they're still in the garage (2 years later.....).

Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Any body have the rear lowering blocks as opposed to the shorter shocks?