Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any body have the rear lowering blocks as opposed to the shorter shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What did you say again?

Originally Posted by p.t.r.
I put lowering brackets (1.5") on my 06' Road King and LOVED IT, for about 7 months. Loved the way it handled, loved the look and had no problems until I bottomed out a couple of times on some dips. BUT, I then took my with to the R.O.T. (Republic of Texas) ride and we hit a small dip doing 65 and shredded my wiring harness under the rear fender. Harley, in their infinite wisdom routed the harness directly over the tire (instead of off to the side....) and was up till 4:00 that morning re-wiring my rear end. Stuck my hand up under the fender and it was like grabbing a handfull of hair. Lots of soldering, splicing in new wires, heat shrink and double sided tape. No problem with the air in the shocks but don't go more than an inch if you're planning on riding 2 up. I took them off and they're still in the garage (2 years later.....).

Ride safe.

WHAT? PTR i could barely read anything you said because of your avitar. You could have called me all type of names and i would have never seen it. I like it but i cant keep my eyes off of her long enough to read.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by gasneed85low
I have these lowering blocks and im considering putting them on but a few people are telling me that they will cause too much stress on the air pressure of my rear shocks on my 01 electraglide. Has any body use these lowering shocks and if so, how long have you had them on.

Here’s my experience…
2008 FLHT – Love the ride comfort, don’t like the height (too high in the back).
First I tried the 12 in shock and found the ride to be too stiff. Then I tried 4 different air ride suspensions and found that none of them were even close to the same riding comfort as the stock shock. OK, what now? – So I drained the oil on the 12 in shock, filled with a 5 wt oil and still too stiff. So…. Now I rider with 1 in lowering blocks and the stock 13’ shock, but, I now have an onboard compressor and gauge to dial in my ride even with a passenger.

How’s that??

Oh ya, if you are going to use the lowering blocks, make sure the the top mount has a spacer equal to the thickness on the lowering block.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Here’s my experience…
2008 FLHT – Love the ride comfort, don’t like the height (too high in the back).
First I tried the 12 in shock and found the ride to be too stiff. Then I tried 4 different air ride suspensions and found that none of them were even close to the same riding comfort as the stock shock. OK, what now? – So I drained the oil on the 12 in shock, filled with a 5 wt oil and still too stiff. So…. Now I rider with 1 in lowering blocks and the stock 13’ shock, but, I now have an onboard compressor and gauge to dial in my ride even with a passenger.

How’s that??

Oh ya, if you are going to use the lowering blocks, make sure the the top mount has a spacer equal to the thickness on the lowering block.
Thanks for sharing your experience.... can I ask which lowering blocks and spacers youb recommend?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 AM
stevefxdi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the tj products lowering blocks on my roadking, very nice kit comes with everything to install and lowers the bike without changing the shock angle

Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Willetts1
Advanced

Want to lower my FLHX also. what blocks are you guys using. I want to make sure I get the correct ones with correct spacers.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The dealer installed 1" lowering blocks on mine when I bought it. I have had no problems with them. The shock angle changes slightly but thats about it.
If your concerned, another low $ option is to find a pair of Street Glide take-offs (Road Glides may have the shorter shocks as well).

Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
p.t.r.
Novice

Originally Posted by gasneed85low
WHAT? PTR i could barely read anything you said because of your avitar. You could have called me all type of names and i would have never seen it. I like it but i cant keep my eyes off of her long enough to read.

Gasneed,
Sorry bout the distraction. As much as I like looking at everyone's bikes on here (in their signature) I thought some spice was needed. If I had a handle on who she actually is I wouldn't be sitting here typing......

Last edited by p.t.r.; 02-05-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wiegh 200lbs with 1" blocks the tire was always grinding in the top of the fender, I changed to 1" shorter Progressive air shocks and it has never ground again.
I can't tell any differance from the stock ride.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
ncbeast
Road Master

I have a RG with the 13" and am 6'5" with a 36" and 245# and the wife is 130#. I would like to lower it just for looks but that is a big chance to take about smoking the wiring harness if it bottoms out. To be able to tell a big difference I would want to go at least 2" lower than stock. You would think there would be some kind of bump stop some where to keep this from happening or even messing up the fender if really low.

Has anyone every relocated their wiring harness over to the side so this could never happen?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also run the Road6Custom lower blocks. Seem to work well and well built. Bought them off E-bay for $25. Well worth the money. Normally retail for $50 or something like that. Buy them from their store online.

CADguy

Quick Reply: Any body have the rear lowering blocks as opposed to the shorter shocks?