Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat for Batwing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Dynamat for Batwing

Has anyone used or heard of someone using the Dynamat to insulate the inside of the Batwing. And if so what were the results?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea I used it, I can't really say it made any difference because I replaced speakers the same time. Can't say enough about the speaker rings and bigger speakers, that made a big difference.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I have it in my fairing. It seems to make the sound a little clearer. There are many posts from a while back on this subject. Try doing a search for dynomat. There are also other manufactures that make a similar product that may be cheaper.
I went to a car audio store and the technician went into the trash and gave me some scraps that were enough to do the inside of my outer fairing. The price was right!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
lawnmower man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it the same stuff that you are talking about but I installed the j&m 7.25's. They came with a pre cut insulation mat that I installed in the fairing and there was a noticeable difference with and without the mat. Probably the same stuff your talking about, it is about 1/2 to 3/4 " thick.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

I installed the dynamat insulation in my fairing within weeks of purchasing my bike. I also am unable to discern a real difference in the sound but I have to believe that it made it a bit "tighter" and keeps the bass (what little there is) from vibrating the outer fairing shell. If there's one drawback to installing this stuff I would say it's the weight. I'm guessing it adds somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 7lbs inside the fairing. This stuff ain't light! Got mine off eBay for around $15 or $20 bucks if I remember correctly. Here's some on eBay I found just now that will give you an idea. This is plenty to completely cover the interior of your batwing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTREME-DYNAMAT-...item19b9961481

Brad

Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the idea of going to the stereo dude and seeing if he has any free scraps laying around

Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I did a inner/outer Dragonfly fairing with Dynamat and it seem to tighten up the bass a bit. On my current bike I didn't go as extreme and installed the Dynaxorb 6x6 squares.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought and installed the Dynaxorb squares made by Dynamat and it reduces the vibration in the outer fairing which seems to provide better sound, though it's not dramatically different. You can go to Dynamat's website for an explanation of the theory behind the Dynaxorb squares.

The J&M liner provided with the 7.25" speakers is an open cell product; don't know whether it works any better/worse than other alternatives.

Good luck with your research.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Changed out speakers and added amp at same time but in general theory, the product is solid and I said, what the hell and installed it.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:04 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

you can purchase the die-cut pre-gummed acoustic foam pads separately, that are used in the J&M 7.25" speaker kits, at http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....SAP-HDCL&PF=43 ,,,,

Quick Reply: Dynamat for Batwing