Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer Tie down location for Tongue wt.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
jmbaker3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed Trailer Tie down location for Tongue wt.

I have a 6 x 10 v nose enclosed trailer. The mfg. shows the curb wt. at 1110 lbs. I weighed the tongue with no load inside and show on my scale 210 lbs. I am concerned about having too much tongue weight. Anyone out here have experience with a v nose set up. This is a 10 ft. trailer and the v nose adds 2 ½ ft. plus. Thinking I may need to set the bike towards the rear end of the trailer so as not to exceed 15% tongue wt. by too much.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Put your bike in the trailer and try a few locations and check the touge weight with a bathroom scale.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
Put your bike in the trailer and try a few locations and check the touge weight with a bathroom scale.
That's how I did it, I also have a 6X10 V-nose. It's made by Carryon Trailer's in Ga. A pingle wheel chock came with it, but wasn't installed!
I found in order to get my angle where the tie downs would be pulling slightly forward and keep the tongue weight right, I had to install the Wheel chock almost in line with the tie down rings I couldn't move them because they are anchored in the frame angle. My trailer was setup with a lot of tongue weight without the bike in it. I have the bike almost centered over the axle. You'll like the 6X10 v-nose. I don't know it's back there the way it tracks. Good luck!

Last edited by Ronp42; 02-03-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 PM
jmbaker3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ronp42
That's how I did it, I also have a 6X10 V-nose. It's made by Carryon Trailer's in Ga. A pingle wheel chock came with it, but wasn't installed!
I found in order to get my angle where the tie downs would be pulling slightly forward and keep the tongue weight right, I had to install the Wheel chock almost in line with the tie down rings I couldn't move them because they are anchored in the frame angle. My trailer was setup with a lot of tongue weight without the bike in it. I have the bike almost centered over the axle. You'll like the 6X10 v-nose. I don't know it's back there the way it tracks. Good luck!
Thanks, I think I have too much stock tongue weight as well. I think they could have built the axle a tad further towards the front when they do the v design. Mine is a wells cargo I picked up in ga. at the waycross facility... it had been sitting around for about a year with no home. I bought a 320 lb scale and wieghed it tonight and was shocked how heavy the front of this thing was. I have owned a 7x12 and a 7x14... just wanted something smaller for quick trips where the wife didnt want to take the time to ride to. Here is mine. I had them throw e track into the deal so no problem with tie down locations. Guess I will mount the condor chock just shy of where the wall would have been had it not have a v nose.

Attached Thumbnails Enclosed Trailer Tie down location for Tongue wt.-tote-wagon-2.jpg   Enclosed Trailer Tie down location for Tongue wt.-tote-wagon.jpg  
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my non V nose trailer I wanted to put at least one set of mounting bolts of my wheel dock through a steel cross member. The end result was that the rear of the Tour Pac was about 12/16" from the end of the trailer and a tongue weight of over 18% of the total trailer + bike weight. To bring it to 11% I placed my various bits of baggage as far back as I could get them and put my luggage in the tourpak. This still was not enough so i ended up placing some old hobby mags in a rucksack and placing it right behind the bike. I asked the trailer dealer why they had moved the axel so far back and he said that it was liability issues. Too many people had put too much weight at the rear resulting in trailers coming loose or suffering from major instability. This way, for people who didn't know how to set up a trailer the tendency was for them to put too much weight on the tongue which is considered the lesser of two evils.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I almost messed up hauling my '09 Ultra 2 days ago. I had to travel 186 miles on the return trip with the UC on a trailer that had angle-iron rails and expanded metal all the way around. The tie-down straps had to go over the rails to the tie-down point on the lower outside of the trailer. That is not a good way to transport a heavy motorcycle because the straps had to go over the sharp edges of the angle-iron. By the time I got home, one of the straps was cut almost in half.

Don't ever use a trailer like this to transport you scoot.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Too much tongue weight is not as bad as not enough tongue weight. Too little will cause the trailer to get tail happy and start to girate back and forth.

Take a look at a boat trailer or a ski doo trailer and were the axle sets. And they don't have too much tongue weight.

The worst trailers to pull are the tilt bed trailers with the axle moved to the middle so they will tilt. The trade off is they just don't pull good going down the road. They will girate unless you have most of the load on the front half of the trailer.

I really doubt that you will have too much tongue weight with your Harley inside your trailer.
just my 02 cents.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM
jmbaker3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Theakerr
With my non V nose trailer I wanted to put at least one set of mounting bolts of my wheel dock through a steel cross member. The end result was that the rear of the Tour Pac was about 12/16" from the end of the trailer and a tongue weight of over 18% of the total trailer + bike weight. To bring it to 11% I placed my various bits of baggage as far back as I could get them and put my luggage in the tourpak. This still was not enough so i ended up placing some old hobby mags in a rucksack and placing it right behind the bike. I asked the trailer dealer why they had moved the axel so far back and he said that it was liability issues. Too many people had put too much weight at the rear resulting in trailers coming loose or suffering from major instability. This way, for people who didn't know how to set up a trailer the tendency was for them to put too much weight on the tongue which is considered the lesser of two evils.
Yes, the wheels are def. too far back, but your post does make sense.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree with Harley Jones, Unless you are pulling with a small pickup, or small SUV. You probably don't have too much tongue weight with a bagger loaded all the way forward if you want.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said, use a scale to check the tongue weight. No more than 20% on the tongue. 10-15% is what I would shoot for.