Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before 255's are installed, SHOW ME WHY NOT ,,

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010 | 05:01 PM
GEORGEW
|
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Before 255's are installed, SHOW ME WHY NOT ,,

I have a set of SE255's sitting at the house,,,Waiting for spring so I can go see HERKO (i live 42 miles from his shop) for install and TTS/Dyno. This is for a 09 StreetGlide,New Style Jackpots Slip-ons ,SE/AC ______ Cams will be it NO 103"

So here's the question,,,Could someone tell me or show me (dyno sheet) what I would loose or gain if I choose to go with one of the cams listed below ,, Thanks!!!

1. T-Man-525

2. HQ-525

3. Cyclerama-575

Old 02-03-2010 | 05:34 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with what Herko suggests. He won't steer you wrong.

Old 02-03-2010 | 05:43 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the SE 255's in my Ultra last October. Very happy with them Great low end torque, runs well. With the cams and tune, I gained about 10 ft/lbs TQ and 9 HP.

Can't talk to the other cams.

Old 02-03-2010 | 06:40 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the dyno chart from my 96" with HQ500 cams.
If you ride your bike hard at all those 255's will run out of steam to early in the rpm range, if you are the type that just rides with out beating the bike they will probably work fine.

Attached Thumbnails Before 255's are installed, SHOW ME WHY NOT  ,,-copy-of-dsc02572.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010 | 06:47 PM
carguy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you already have the 255's and don't want to go to 103 here's my opinion.
Originally Posted by carguy
Well here's my 2 cents. I have a stock 07 Road Glide w/Kuryakyn breather, SEST, D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 w/ performance baffle, and SE 255 cams.

This bike only had 6k miles on it and I just couldn't justify replacing the top end. After reading IClick's and others comments this sounded just like what I was looking for.

For those that want a meaningful increase for not very much cash outlay and are more into touring than banging it off the limiter this might be it. I have less than $600 in this including install. Much cheaper if you can install yourself.

I can easily hit 100 mph going onto an onramp to merge onto the super slab which is fast enough for me. 6th gear is where this cam shines for me. Our speed limit in Arizona is 75 which puts this cam right in it's sweet spot. I can now cruise in 6th and even steep inclines are no problem. I had no problem in 6th rolling on from 75 to 100. It was still pulling hard but had to back off because of traffic.

As far as mileage I set the cruise at 78 and did a half dozen roll ons to 90 and the one to 100 and averaged 46.2 mpg.

For those of us that tour and just want the power where we ride then checkout where the power is in the curve. Anyway it put a big smile on my face and I guess that's all that really counts.

Old 02-03-2010 | 06:53 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some 255s in the mail to me (sorry for whoever I beat out on Ebay), now I just need to find a place to put them in, or should I say install them.

Old 02-03-2010 | 07:08 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GEORGEW
I have a set of SE255's sitting at the house,,,Waiting for spring so I can go see HERKO (i live 42 miles from his shop) for install and TTS/Dyno. This is for a 09 StreetGlide,New Style Jackpots Slip-ons ,SE/AC ______ Cams will be it NO 103"

So here's the question,,,Could someone tell me or show me (dyno sheet) what I would loose or gain if I choose to go with one of the cams listed below ,, Thanks!!!

1. T-Man-525

2. HQ-525

3. Cyclerama-575
I'd go with the TMan 525's if I were you ,the 255's blow theyre wad way too early.Give Frank at DragosBikeWorks a call{815-765-1790}.He can give you a price on these cams or any other as far as that goes that is unheard of.He can tell you all you want to know about these cams.

Old 02-03-2010 | 07:23 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
This is the dyno chart from my 96" with HQ500 cams.
If you ride your bike hard at all those 255's will run out of steam to early in the rpm range, if you are the type that just rides with out beating the bike they will probably work fine.
Hey since were local to each other, wanna see first hand were a 96 w/255's "runs out of steam" compared to those 500's?

Old 02-03-2010 | 07:49 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
I have some 255s in the mail to me (sorry for whoever I beat out on Ebay), now I just need to find a place to put them in, or should I say install them.
If you have a garage, you already have a place. It's a straight forward job if you take your time.

Old 02-03-2010 | 10:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

There've been several references about 255's "running out of steam" at the top-end, but you should ask yourself if you want the steam to "run out" there or at the bottom-end. If you install any of the other cams you listed in your first post into an otherwise stock engine you will "run out of steam" in the low-end, actually decreasing torque there compared to stock. Which is more important to you, and where do you spend most of your time? If you never venture below 2500 RPM and don't care how performance is affected in that region, you'll probably be fine with any of the other milder grinds available, like those on your list. Not everyone has the same preferences, but I don't want to sacrifice performance between 2000-2500 RPM, and will sacrifice more impressive peak-HP numbers to retain or increase it. "Different strokes for different folks." (Sly Stone, 1969)

IMO it is also a misstatement that 255's roll over and die after 4500 RPM's, as they still make more power than stock cams, will peak at about 5k RPM, and based on dyno charts I've seen will increase peak-HP in a stock engine around 5%. They just don't make as much peak-HP as most other performance cams, but they aren't designed for that purpose. SE255's are torque cams designed to provide a respectable increase in low-end and midrange performance without making other engine modifications. Add a little compression (up to 10:1) and a bit more displacement and you have a real torque monster.

OTOH, add compression to any of the other cams on your list and you have another situation altogether, how well they preserve the low-end depending on their specs and how much compression you throw at them. To get a relative idea of how a cam affects the low-end, given stock compression, look at the intake-close spec. Stock is 30° (according to HD) or 25° (according to Andrews), and HD specs the 255's at 25°. As the spec increases your low-end will be negatively affected, all other factors being equal. This is admittedly an over-simplification, as other factors affect the low-end, like duration, but the intake close is is a spec to consider if you plan on putting a cam in a stock motor and don't want the low-end to be affected.

Last edited by iclick; 02-04-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Before 255's are installed, SHOW ME WHY NOT ,,