Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:25 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Shopping for a Street Glide

Hey guys, I am new to this part of the forum but I am looking to move in. I've had a Honda VTX 1300 that I have customized for the past couple of years, raked trees, fat tire and stuff like that. I have just sold the bike and am getting something a little more practical that the wife and I both can ride, she has her own a Heritage(its in my signature) but wants to ride with me on longer rides. I am looking at getting a street glide but am not sure if I should pull the trigger on a 06 or 07. I could care less about the 96 CI engine but the 6 speed tranny would be really cool and for $500 I am considering getting one but then on the other hand I have rented a 06 and the bike performed great and was all I was hoping it would be. I know the 07's just came out but any help from you guys with bagger experiance could lend some helpful insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 PM
2006streetglide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shopping for a Street Glide

I believe I can speak for all '06 Glide owners here and the '06 'Glides are sweet a$$ bikes. And I got to believe that now that the '07s are on the floor take advantage of the deals out there on the '06s while you can. What few bugs existed in them are all worked out for what you would end up buying now (although I have an early build 9/9/05 - and I NEVER had ANY issues whatsoever with my 'Glide).

I've been told by several dealers that with the 2007 Twin Cam motors (96ci) that they have roughly the same RWHP as does the 88ci with all the smog junk on it. The MoCo had to bump up the displacment to make up for the stringent regs the Feds put on them. In addition to that, I'm told the 6 speed is really a bonus if you ride the highway alot. 6th gear = 500 less RPMs than the 5 speeds. The 5th gear in an '07 is 1:1 not much difference overall.

All in all the '07 looks like the '06 but you will get a hellva bike for what the dealers will be discounting them for. Plus, there are proven hp/tq increases out there w/o having to do your own R&D on these smogged and bogged '07 motors.

Just my $0.02....

Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be sure to get a black one and put rinehardts on it.....wouldnt want any "Odd" ones out there....

nogood o~`o

Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Just be sure to get a black one and put rinehardts on it.....wouldnt want any "Odd" ones out there....

nogood o~`o

Actually looking at either cobolt blue or black pearl but if I get the right deal on a vivid black I'd take it and how did you know that I was going to Rhinehardts on it[:'(]

Old 07-23-2006, 11:47 PM
wnogood
Banned

Too funny! I am the resident rinehardt fan ( Read basher ) not that I do not like the sound....I'm just glad that unlike alot of the guys that I ride with, I do not have them, and have not had to deal with all the headaches that rinehardt has given everyone the last few years.....

nogood o~`o

Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

I believe I can speak for all '06 Glide owners here and the '06 'Glides are sweet a$$ bikes. And I got to believe that now that the '07s are on the floor take advantage of the deals out there on the '06s while you can. What few bugs existed in them are all worked out for what you would end up buying now (although I have an early build 9/9/05 - and I NEVER had ANY issues whatsoever with my 'Glide).

I've been told by several dealers that with the 2007 Twin Cam motors (96ci) that they have roughly the same RWHP as does the 88ci with all the smog junk on it. The MoCo had to bump up the displacment to make up for the stringent regs the Feds put on them. In addition to that, I'm told the 6 speed is really a bonus if you ride the highway alot. 6th gear = 500 less RPMs than the 5 speeds. The 5th gear in an '07 is 1:1 not much difference overall.

All in all the '07 looks like the '06 but you will get a hellva bike for what the dealers will be discounting them for. Plus, there are proven hp/tq increases out there w/o having to do your own R&D on these smogged and bogged '07 motors.

Just my $0.02....
Very nicely put!!! Couldn't agree more!

Old 07-24-2006, 12:22 AM
DoCPooF
Road Captain

You can probably find a good deal on a SG if you look around.

I was almost going to buy one then decided on a 07 SE RK.

Cheapest I found so far for a 06 SG OTD was $18,700, which isn't too bad.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:29 AM
skid jackson
Cruiser

I had a dealer offfer me one at $17k otd. List was 18,800. I am trying to keep things around 15K, but thought about hitting him up for 16,500. But i never followed through. Bikes gone now!! That was no surprise btw.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:31 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: skid jackson

I had a dealer offfer me one at $17k otd. List was 18,800. I am trying to keep things around 15K, but thought about hitting him up for 16,500. But i never followed through. Bikes gone now!! That was no surprise btw.

Two local dealers(Blue Ridge and Tilley's) both have the colors I am looking for but I am hoping they will still have them in two weeks. Thats when the guy is coming down from MN to pick up my old bike. If they are gone thats cool and I can just do a 07 but I would prefer to go with a 06. I think I can get a better deal on a 06.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

buy an 06...we'll tell ya how to hop it up

Quick Reply: Shopping for a Street Glide