Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no balance shafts? Cross Bones Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why no balance shafts? Cross Bones Ride

Yesterday I spent the day with my magazine editor buddy who was test riding a new Cross Bones for an article. We switched bikes for a while and the first thing I noticed was how smooth it was. Hardly any vibes at all. It got me wondering how come our Touring engines aren't equipped with balance shafts. Is it because there isn't room for them within a wet sump design or simply because the vibes are part of the tradition? Or is it something else? Anybody know?

The other thing that I had long forgotten about is how effective a sprung seat is. Really smooth riding regardless of how lousy the road surface is. The last time I rode on one was back when I had my '68 EG. I remember noticing that our local police bikes have sprung seats and now I can see why.

My test ride didn't last long. I was wearing an oversized winter jacket and with the combination of the high bars, forward controls and solo seat I felt like a sail at 60 mph. If I had loosened my grip I probably would have gone flying off the back. Back on the RG

Oh yea, I had forgotten how weak a stock 96" motor feels compared to my 103" Stage II. The Cross Bones seemed a lot lighter but pitifully slow.

Marc

Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just been wondering that myself as a buddy has a deluxe and says how smooth it is because of the balanced B engine and how he just looks at my handlebars shaking all over the place. You would think they would balance all of the bikes if it was the thing to do. Must be a reason but I'm not aware of it either.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both engines are smooth at speed. The unbalanced engine gives the cool shaking look/feel at idle.

My guess is the softails need a smoother engine all the time due to stiffer suspension? Just a guess. The balance shafts kill a few horsepower too.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Softails are rigid mounted and have to be counterbalanced. FL's and Dynas are rubber mounted and don't need the extra balancing crap slinging around in the case since they are smooth off idle. It might bother me if all I did was sit and idle, but I like to ride....

Not to nitpick, but our engines are dry sump (separate oil tank), not wet sump (conventional oil pan).

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

I've got an 08 rocker ("B" engine) and I like it MUCH better than the non-counterbalance engine. I rode my buddies 07 dyna superglide and I really didn't like the feel of everything vibrating all over the place. Especially when i pulled the clutch in (engine at idle) and started to turn. JMHO. everyone likes what they like.

Also I feel that having a balance engine you don't have stuff constantly breaking and you don't have to worry about motormounts going bad

Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Every softail that I've ridden has a buzz in the bars at highway speeds.

My Street Glide does not. Since I spend more time on the road than idling, I'll take the rubber-mount non-counterbalanced engine.

The rigid mount does have its advantages though. You can really lug 'em down without complaint. My rubber-mounted motor won't allow that. Starts to make ugly noises and shake.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

I hate the buzzing bars of the B motor, plus I'd rather replace a motor mount every now and then than risk a balancer going bad.

As mentioned, the reason the softail engine is counter balance to smooth the vibration is because it is rigidly mounted to the fram, because it is basically part of the frame. It is this way because of how much room the hidden shock takes up.

Personally, I love the vibration at idle. It lets me know my bike is on and ready to go!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The high speed buzz is from the counter balancer at certain higher RPM's. I rode an 08 crossbones for a little over a year and enjoyed it but it just couldnt safley handle the weight of 2 up riding for us big people at times it seemed labored. It cant compete with the touring comfort of my road king. Sold it and purchased a 2009 FLHP the first thing I noticed was how well the braking was improved and the buzz was gone along with the windsheild buffiting. It did seem to pull strong in the low end and is a very fun bike if your under 6' and 250lbs and have a small ole lady just my opinion.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by boneziff
The high speed buzz is from the counter balancer at certain higher RPM's. I rode an 08 crossbones for a little over a year and enjoyed it but it just couldnt safley handle the weight of 2 up riding for us big people at times it seemed labored. It cant compete with the touring comfort of my road king. Sold it and purchased a 2009 FLHP the first thing I noticed was how well the braking was improved and the buzz was gone along with the windsheild buffiting. It did seem to pull strong in the low end and is a very fun bike if your under 6' and 250lbs and have a small ole lady just my opinion.

I agree with ya on the comfort of a touring bike, I was just looking at it from a mechanical stand point. If something is vibrating that violently something is bound it give out/break

Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JCleary
Every softail that I've ridden has a buzz in the bars at highway speeds.

My Street Glide does not. Since I spend more time on the road than idling, I'll take the rubber-mount non-counterbalanced engine.

The rigid mount does have its advantages though. You can really lug 'em down without complaint. My rubber-mounted motor won't allow that. Starts to make ugly noises and shake.

I can't lug mine down...it definitely does not like to be lugged. Mine will start to shake as well if I go down far enough

Quick Reply: Why no balance shafts? Cross Bones Ride