Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no balance shafts? Cross Bones Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Good think he wasn't riding a _____. Then you'd be asking about _______.
Why do some people choose Hardtail choppers?
The only time I notice vibration on my Ultra is when idling. I have noticed the buzzing feeling coming through the bars on Softails when riding.

There are plenty of bikes to choose from that are smooth as silk if that is important to you.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Harley's are supposed to rumble, its the American way.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes
Yesterday I spent the day with my magazine editor buddy who was test riding a new Cross Bones for an article. We switched bikes for a while and the first thing I noticed was how smooth it was. Hardly any vibes at all. It got me wondering how come our Touring engines aren't equipped with balance shafts. Is it because there isn't room for them within a wet sump design or simply because the vibes are part of the tradition? Or is it something else? Anybody know?

The other thing that I had long forgotten about is how effective a sprung seat is. Really smooth riding regardless of how lousy the road surface is. The last time I rode on one was back when I had my '68 EG. I remember noticing that our local police bikes have sprung seats and now I can see why.

My test ride didn't last long. I was wearing an oversized winter jacket and with the combination of the high bars, forward controls and solo seat I felt like a sail at 60 mph. If I had loosened my grip I probably would have gone flying off the back. Back on the RG

Oh yea, I had forgotten how weak a stock 96" motor feels compared to my 103" Stage II. The Cross Bones seemed a lot lighter but pitifully slow.

Marc
I think the reason the rubber mounted motors are still unbalanced is because the customers want them that way. I don't know for sure, but I know I like the way the motor shakes the bike at idle. My favorite hot rods always shook a little, too.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Softails are rigid mounted and have to be counterbalanced.
Not to nitpick but they weren't counterbalanced from 1984 'til 1999.

Other than that I agree with you. Touring bikes don't need to be and consequently aren't. The majority of all bikes made by H-D are not counterbalanced. There's additional cost and complexity involved and the only reason they did the B engine was for ride quality in a rigid mount frame - and the only reason it's a rigid mount frame is because it looks so damn good. Remember Softails really do sacrifice ride for pure form. Nothing evokes a 1936 EL better than a Softail and the 1936 EL probably epitomizes the Harley Davidson brand motorcycle better than any before or after. Finally there is power loss to the counterbalancers.

Last edited by davessworks; 02-02-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Lol. Good point. Guess I should have said "have to be counterbalanced or customers would whine like my 5th gear...."

Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks

Other than that I agree with you. Touring bikes don't need to be and consequently aren't. The majority of all bikes made by H-D are not counterbalanced. There's additional cost and complexity involved and the only reason they did the B engine was for ride quality in a rigid mount frame - and the only reason it's a rigid mount frame is because it looks so damn good. Remember Softails really do sacrifice ride for pure form. Nothing evokes a 1936 EL better than a Softail and the 1936 EL probably epitomizes the Harley Davidson brand motorcycle better than any before or after. Finally there is power loss to the counterbalancers.

You can say that there is a power loss from having a rubber mounted engine as well. When you accelerate hard the motor mounts absorb a good amount of energy. Thus the reason for have stiffer motor mounts. Less flexing, more power to the wheel

Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
TheDon81
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I think the reason the rubber mounted motors are still unbalanced is because the customers want them that way. I don't know for sure, but I know I like the way the motor shakes the bike at idle. My favorite hot rods always shook a little, too.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

My first Harley was a 2005 Heritage Classic. I chose it over a Road King just because of the counterbalanced motor. I thought I would like it better. It was really smooth at idle, but with the 5 gear tranny, when I cruised 80 mph for hours straight on the interstate, my hands would go numb from the bar vibration. The 6 gear tranny probably helps that, but I haven't ridden one.

My SG shakes at idle, but once I roll away from a stop, it is much smoother at all other speeds than my Heritage was. The B motor was the deciding factor in the first Harley I bought, but I would not go back to it now.

Dennis