Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010 | 11:47 PM
Whiskers
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?

My wife and I may be sitting down with a dealer soon trying to negotiate on a new Ultra Classic. He's offering MSRP + shipping, ABS, tax, etc. This will be a straight-up buy with no trade-ins.

I'm wondering what else I might think about when we're doing the back-and-forth? Below MSRP? Discount on parts? Extended warranty? Free service?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts/ideas/opinions on what you were able to work out with your dealer?

Old 02-01-2010 | 11:53 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Whiskers
My wife and I may be sitting down with a dealer soon trying to negotiate on a new Ultra Classic. He's offering MSRP + shipping, ABS, tax, etc. This will be a straight-up buy with no trade-ins.

I'm wondering what else I might think about when we're doing the back-and-forth? Below MSRP? Discount on parts? Extended warranty? Free service?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts/ideas/opinions on what you were able to work out with your dealer?
You tryin to get a deal outta Nick? Good luck!

Old 02-02-2010 | 12:08 AM
low bed 2
3rd Gear

Good luck on your negotiations. Personnaly when I went in I had already talked to a couple of dealers and had an idea on what I would offer. I could have bought an ultra classic for a song, but I wanted a Road Glide. They sweetened the deal on the Ultra, but, I really wanted a RG, Even though I could saved a couple grand, I have the bike that I wanted, not the one they wanted to unload on me. Make an offer that you feel is fair to all and stick to your guns. If it is fair they will go for it, if not then walk, and find a dealer who will work with you. Rember you are the customer, and this is a want not a need, and if more dealers treated us this way they probably would have more sales, not unhappy potential customers.

Old 02-02-2010 | 12:17 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Most will give 20% off on parts purchased at the same time, some will give 20% off for a year. Some will throw in the first service too.

I shopped the deal around at 2 dealers and my local HOG Chapter dealer who my wife and I Road Captain for, had a minimum profit of 20% so I got a much better deal by going elsewhere, and go figure - they were pissed. I went in with my accessory list and got 20% off on everything, including some non-HD parts and got about $1500 better trade on my old bike.

It pays to be patient and shop around.

Old 02-02-2010 | 01:46 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Call all the dealers within whatever distance you are willing to drive to. (I called six different ones and told all of them I was pricing bikes from several different dealers) Tell them what you want and get a price. The one that wants to sell a bike will be obvious and that is the one you want to deal with. ( i.e. lowest price) Don't worry about discounts. You can buy all your chrome and whatever from the 20% off dealers on line and usually get free shipping if you order over 500 bucks worth (easy to do....spend over 500 bucks that is) I use www.lshd1.com Of course if you buy all your extras from the dealer and pay them to put the stuff on, it will all be under warranty with the bike. Not sure that is worth a whole lot, but it sounds good.

Old 02-02-2010 | 05:53 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Just a thought, I'd shop for a deal on a used bike. They sure are out there and you'll save a ton and let someone else take the depreciation hit unless you have got to have brand new.

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:01 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

In my area we have 6 dealerships that compete for business. I don't know anybody who's selling for more than straight MSRP+tax OTD right now. The salesmen will usually offer to knock off all the additional charges without even being asked, and the bikes can be had for considerably less than that if you're patient. That doesn't apply to the CVO bikes though, of course.

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:27 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

As the others have said, call around, tell them you are serious, what you have and what you want. Shop your best price. If they're not willing to commit to that over the phone or give you a "come in and we'll talk about it" line then they're not hungry enough.

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:37 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

From the minute I decided to buy a bike that week... I visited and called about 5 dealers within 75 miles from me. After comparing prices on Ebay and talking to these dealers I knew about what I wanted to spend.
When I told the last dealer the other one offered me a NEW 09 FLHX for 17,800. I went back to the one nearest me, and my salesman said yes, I can get you an 09 still I am sure, but WHY? What if I could beat the price on a '10, you going to buy today? Walked into there about 4 hrs later to pay for and ride home my new FLHX for 17,500 OUT THE DOOR! (To clarify, here in MO. you don't pay tax, title and license at the door) But that included all the dealer prep, ect... so ultimately I only paid something like 17,000 for the bike for sales tax purposes.
Get a couple or three dealers fighting for your money, tell them you ARE going to buy a bike this week, or whatever. Then keep going back and forth with their offers.
I am pleased that my local dealer was the one who wanted my business the most I guess. (Although when I talked to one of the others after purchasing my bike the sales person said, "I sure wish you would have given us a chance to beat that price!) I can't imagine they could have beat it by a whole lot, but guess I'll never know now. I am happy, and as many on here say, if your happy with your deal, that's all that matters really!

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:39 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Depending on how many dealerships are in your area... and how far you're willing to travel for a deal....
at the LEAST
MSRP out the door.... not a penny in frieght, taxes, doc fees, or set up.
Or
free services, extended warranty, or $x in store credit.

There was a LOT of movement at 3 of my 4 local dealerships. Amazing thing was the dealer who holds the line on prices, is the dealership everyone seems to think, is the most "wonderful"

Quick Reply: Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?