Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 08:40 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
It pays to be patient and shop around.
Truer words could not be spoken.

Old 02-02-2010 | 08:49 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?

"congratulations, you're our 25,000th customer - please accept this bike for free as a token of our appreciation"

Old 02-02-2010 | 08:55 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

I have bought three new Harleys in the last 19 months.

First one was MSRP + sales tax & Tag

Second one was MSRP + sales tax & Tag

On the third I worked three area dealers hard and got two of them willing to do MSRP out the door and I wrote a check!

I hear stories about deals but that is the best I could work out. I also had one dealer that was $1600.00 HIGHER and he told me he could NOT do any better. I also got a free t-shirt, 20% off all accessories for 30 days, free HOG membership and a discount on the first service.

Good luck and Happy Shopping

Old 02-02-2010 | 09:08 PM
Whiskers
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clint55
This is an old but a good discussion on the in's and out's of buying a new bike.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ley-101-a.html
Thanks, Everyone! I've appreciated all your comments. Clint pasted a link to a thread here on the forum with some of the best advice I've ever read (I'd forgotten it was there). Please take a look at it.

Also, there was one post on this thread that sent me to www.cyclebuy.com and I was able to buy a Dealer Invoice Report for $19. Now I'm fully armed with all the goods on what the dealer actually paid. Again, thanks.

Old 02-02-2010 | 09:48 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain

Cash is King! The market is tough out there....work em good! Good Luck!

Old 02-02-2010 | 10:55 PM
kegnison
Intermediate

best advice I can give is dont be afraid to walk out the door. You'd be surprised to see what happens when they see you're serious.

Old 02-03-2010 | 10:52 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I have bought three new Harleys in the last 19 months.

First one was MSRP + sales tax & Tag

Second one was MSRP + sales tax & Tag

On the third I worked three area dealers hard and got two of them willing to do MSRP out the door and I wrote a check!

I hear stories about deals but that is the best I could work out. I also had one dealer that was $1600.00 HIGHER and he told me he could NOT do any better. I also got a free t-shirt, 20% off all accessories for 30 days, free HOG membership and a discount on the first service.

Good luck and Happy Shopping
Dock, not picking on you but I have seen similar comments from others as well on here.

How is 20% off accessories a deal when you can get that 365 days a year from Chicago HD or Zanottis and others? Is it just the convenience of getting it there and then assuming its in stock.

A year's HOG membership comes with every bike to start with also.

Old 02-03-2010 | 10:57 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by trozenhorse
Cash is King! The market is tough out there....work em good! Good Luck!
Every deal for a bike should be a cash deal even if you are financing the bike.

One of the ways they get you for money is to combine the price of the bike with financing....make them two separate deals! Always have your financing arranged before you walk in a dealer through your bank, credit union, or wherever. This makes your bike deal a cash deal with the dealer. Of course they will want to finance the bike, but now they have to beat the financing rates and terms you already have.

Old 02-03-2010 | 11:09 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

I also did the rounds of all the nearby dealers. I got a written estimate each time and used that to try to get the next dealer to beat the deal. I finally ended up with a $2600 discount.

Old 02-03-2010 | 11:28 AM
popeye0416
Advanced
Default Negotiate

I went to 4 dealers who all had different prices. Finally, $1500 off MSRP, No freight, No prep and 20% off all parts and labor. The deals are there if you do the leg work. That's in NJ anyway on a 2010 Street Glide.

Quick Reply: Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?