Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 12:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TittiesOnTwo

It also helps to get putied up in a low cut shirt and go hang out with the guys at the local dealer every now and then so they know you and want to keep you happy lol but I don't guess that's an option for the OP

Old 02-02-2010 | 01:18 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain

Craigs list

Old 02-02-2010 | 01:36 PM
karter
Advanced
Thumbs up

I visited 3 local dealers after viewing their inventories on-line ,basically I was looking for an 09 Road King Classic new or used ,all 3 had RKC's used from their rental fleet . The price difference was amazing to say the least ,almost 4 thousand dollars, for equally equipped bikes . The RK I bought was $800 more than the lowest priced dealer , but was a color that I wanted and 6,000 miles verses 9,000 miles .
I got the bike I wanted from my nearest dealer ,didn't buy the cheapest one but I'm happy with the price I paid . Several things I noticed (said this in another post ) all 3 dealers had large inventories ,new and used . The dealer with the most inventory had the highest price , go figure . All 3 dealers knew I was going to purchase a bike that week ,and 2 salesmen called me back to see if they could make a deal , the 3rd. saleman with the highest priced bike didn't bother to call .
All in all , got the bike I wanted at what I think was a fair price for me and the dealer . I don't mind that a dealer makes money ,just not $3800 ! over the other dealers .

Old 02-02-2010 | 02:07 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Whiskers
My wife and I may be sitting down with a dealer soon trying to negotiate on a new Ultra Classic. He's offering MSRP + shipping, ABS, tax, etc. This will be a straight-up buy with no trade-ins.

I'm wondering what else I might think about when we're doing the back-and-forth? Below MSRP? Discount on parts? Extended warranty? Free service?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts/ideas/opinions on what you were able to work out with your dealer?
I bought my 2010 Ultra with ABS & security for $21,000(includes freight charge of 500.00) + tax.You don't want to pay more than MSRP in my opinion!!!

Old 02-02-2010 | 05:37 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

In my opinion, MSRP doesn't mean squat. What I dealt with when i bought my bike was "out the door" price. MSRP isn't the bottom line when the dealer starts adding doc fee, tax, setup cost, and a myriad of other costs. I had a figure I would pay as the bottom line "out-the-door" cost and I didn't budge. I am fortunate enough to have a dealer 20 miles, 40 miles and 60miles away. I went to every one and told them what I would give for the bike I wanted.
Of course I wanted to buy from the closest (most convenient) dealer, but I ended up buying from the dealer 40 miles away.
The Closest dealer was running an ad at the time that said "if we can't beat any deal from another dealer, we'll give you $100.
I showed them the quote from the other dealer and they wouldn't even match it. They gave me a $100 credit after I bought from the other dealer and showed them the paperwork. Got a free rider backrest :-)
Selling dealer met my out the door price, gave me 20% off on parts and acc for 90 days, threw in first service and shirts for me and the wife.
BUT it took several trips to the dealers to get it down where I wanted it.
I ordered a "quarterly custom" color, and I called the salesman on the last day that the color was available and told him if he wanted to sell the bike I would put a deposit on it over the phone right then with my credit card. Otherwise me and the wife were gonna hit another dealer over the weekend and start looking at other colors.
He called me back in a couple of hours and said he couldn't get ahold of the boss for approval, but he went ahead with it anyway. Took my CC# over the phone for the deposit.
I didn't let the salesman upsell me a bunch of crap I didn't want or need.
Bottom line is-Don't be in a hurry. If they won't meet you where you want-walk. They'll either get back with you, or theres another dealer that wants to move a bike

Old 02-02-2010 | 05:53 PM
surveyingdawg
6th Gear

I went to St Augustine Harley on Friday and Bruce Rossmyer. BR was over $4000 higher than SA Harley for the same Ultra. On Saturday I went to Savannah Harley, they were $2000 higher than SA Harley. Needless to say Saint Augustine Harley will be getting my business. But one question, why the price difference between the 2 stores and only 40 miles of I95 seperating the stores?

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:04 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE]But one question, why the price difference between the 2 stores and only 40 miles of I95 seperating the stores?[QUOTE]

Greed? Or who knows...

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:23 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by low bed 2
Good luck on your negotiations. Personnaly when I went in I had already talked to a couple of dealers and had an idea on what I would offer. I could have bought an ultra classic for a song, but I wanted a Road Glide. They sweetened the deal on the Ultra, but, I really wanted a RG, Even though I could saved a couple grand, I have the bike that I wanted, not the one they wanted to unload on me. Make an offer that you feel is fair to all and stick to your guns. If it is fair they will go for it, if not then walk, and find a dealer who will work with you. Rember you are the customer, and this is a want not a need, and if more dealers treated us this way they probably would have more sales, not unhappy potential customers.
Truer words were never spoken….sounds like something I would have advised!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:34 PM
MNrider
Tourer

My take is to wait until June or July when they are willing to unload the 2010's for a large discount to make room for the 2011's. But, can you wait that long?

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:39 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer

I got freight and setup dropped and 20% off accessories. This was last november, but I don't think I could get any better now.

Quick Reply: Negotiating Best Buy from Dealer: What's Your Idea on Scoring a Deal?