Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Headlights - HID?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We sell a kit that is converted from a car kit, so you get an extra bulb and ballast and I know we were less installed than harley was for the kit. Not sure what were getting for the kit...not my department, but the light is awesome. Especially those back roads.I would have a bike without it, now that I've had it.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You asked about the Harley HID kit. I have one on my old dresser (I like proving Harley stuff can be fitted to older bikes!) but do not recommend it. Not only is it very expensive, but only the low beam is HID, the pattern is very poor and the high beam useless! It is great as a daytime light because the low beam is very wide, but don't buy it if you drive at night in the dark.

HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal does a conversion kit. If I change I will buy a high quality reflector and a kit.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
jimhartman
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grbrown - Thanks for your post about the HD HID. I kind of suspected that. It would sure be a drag to spend that kind of money and not get much from it. Thanks again!
Everyone else - Thanks for your posts. This is exactly the kind of respons I was hoping for. If anyone has any of the options listed in the above posts, please add your comments. I'll watch this thread until it quits getting posts.
JH

Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhartman
2. I see several options out there for the HID kit that physically moves the bulb reflector for Hi and Lo beams. Are they much of an improvement from stock?
Originally Posted by grbrown
HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal does a conversion kit. If I change I will buy a high quality reflector and a kit.
I subscribed to this because I was curious what answers would come. I was hoping someone would chime in with an opinion on the system that grbrown mentioned.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage12.html

The pictures look good but they always do. Motorcycle Metal seems to have a good reputation on this forum so I don't necessarily doubt their advertising but it would be nice to get some feed back from a customer.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not an expert, by no means, and the little research that I have done, I do know this. To get true performance from a HID bulb (hi and/or low beam) is to use a HID projector lens. In the link I posted, you can see the projector lens in the headlamp. The HD version and all the other kits (mentioned in this post) do not utilize a projector lens. The beam pattern is "scattered" by using a stock headlamp housing or even the HD HID housing. The HID projector lens controls the beam pattern and concentrates it where it should be.

Again, I'm no expert and if I'm not explaining this correctly, someone chime in.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I just added bi-xenons and fogs with a wiring harness to my truck for less then that. I'm all for supporting our vendors but that price is a bit steep. From what I've read, all the kits are pretty much the same. Made in one of 3 plants in China (where else?)

And brypink-Maybe projectors focus the beam better, but you still get much better lighting in the stock bucket with the HID bulbs. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.
Plus I don't know about anyone else but those projectors are just plum ugly.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 Ultra
I just added bi-xenons and fogs with a wiring harness to my truck for less then that. I'm all for supporting our vendors but that price is a bit steep. From what I've read, all the kits are pretty much the same. Made in one of 3 plants in China (where else?)

And brypink-Maybe projectors focus the beam better, but you still get much better lighting in the stock bucket with the HID bulbs. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.
I'm not denying that HIDs produce more/better light, but when it is not focused with a projector lens you're not utilizing the bulb to it's full potential. Kinda like doing an engine build and not tuning it to perfection. IMHO.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iclick - what headlight modulator you using ? any issues with it ?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 Ultra

using a HID bulb without a projector housing just scatters the light directly in front of the vehicle, it fools your eyes into thinking that you can see better because there is so much additional light right in front of you instead of focusing the light down the road where you need it the most.

"if" I ever put HID on a bike, it will be a Bi-xenon projector, so that I also have highbeams.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by brypink
I'm not an expert, by no means, and the little research that I have done, I do know this. To get true performance from a HID bulb (hi and/or low beam) is to use a HID projector lens. In the link I posted, you can see the projector lens in the headlamp. The HD version and all the other kits (mentioned in this post) do not utilize a projector lens. The beam pattern is "scattered" by using a stock headlamp housing or even the HD HID housing. The HID projector lens controls the beam pattern and concentrates it where it should be.

Again, I'm no expert and if I'm not explaining this correctly, someone chime in.
I have projector HID lamps on my car. Frankly I think they are like that for styling purposes, nothing to do with optimum performance. Projector lamps were introduced on cars, long before HID came on the scene, along with slit-eyed styling.

I like the idea of a split reflector, like the Harley HID one, it is just badly designed! I understand that some recent touring Harleys come with a twin bulb reflector, which on previous threads has been praised for its performance, presumably with stock halogen bulbs. That might be a good starting point for an aftermarket HID kit.

HID light is not any different to pre-HID light, it obeys the same rules. So a well designed reflector, with the bulb in the correct place, will give brighter and well aimed HID light than halogen light. No reason why that should be different, unless the HID kit is compromised in some way. We went round this same debate when Halogen bulbs (originally known as quartz-iodine) were introduced!

Last edited by grbrown; 02-03-2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added para.

Quick Reply: Touring Headlights - HID?