Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Scholarly Exericise in the Comparison of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Honda G

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

The GW is no longer made in America. The Marysville, OH plant closed down Fall of last year and they relocated all GW assumbly operations to a new "state of the art" facility in Japan. Just sayin'...

Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy Mustang
The GW is no longer made in America. The Marysville, OH plant closed down Fall of last year and they relocated all GW assumbly operations to a new "state of the art" facility in Japan. Just sayin'...
That's correct, but all of the current Goldwings (2010 models) were manufactured in Ohio. The assumption is the 2011 'Wing will come from the new plant in Japan. Some believe there may not be a 2011 Goldwing, as Honda will soon release a new sport-tourer, the VFR 1200T. As for me, I'm happy with my 09 Ultra!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - lots of Honda knowledge evident. When the money goes back to Japan, it doesn't matter where it's built. Same with the cars and other gee gaws.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Victory looks like a relic from an old Buck Rogers movie set. The Vic and GW are great running, very comfy bikes. Extremely comfy. TOO comfy. I always wondered why so many Wing riders ride so damn slow in the twisties After riding one, I think it's because riding a Wing at 70mph or at 20mph feels and sounds the same and the rider has no idea. If I wanted to look like a retro space cadet, I'd ride a Vision. If I wanted absolute comfort, I'd ride a Gold Wing.

I want a thrill when I ride. Therefore, I ride a Harley.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
doc cj....Got a bud that just HAD to have a GW and now that he has one (a pretty YELLOW!! one) he get's pissed every time a bypasser walks right past his bike to look at mine ('06 SG).
...... i'd intended to buy a Wing. I could get a used one in Yellow, they were quiet & had all them bags & a fixed fairing and i didn't feel i needed a 'Harley Aura' to enjoy motorcycling. Then one day I remembered what an old GF had said about how Harley's didn't have to be loud, you could keep'm muffled down if you wanted to and there was just something about HARLEY DAVIDSON that kept attracting my thoughts. So I went to a local dealer, learned that MoCo made a fixed fairing model (who knew ?), that said fixed fairing model came in Yellow that year and that footboards were waay more comfortable for me than pegs.
...... and as they say ...... the rest is history !

Last edited by groupw; 02-01-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
pritzent
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by FXSTS-88
I'm trying to think of something nice to say about this thread, but just can't!!!
That GW is 'assembled' here...parts are from JAPAN!!!
OK, as a rider that did the OPPOSITE of this thread, I have to put my $.02 in.

First, living 10 miles from Marysville, many neighbors working at Honda, owning 2 GWs before going to a FLHTCUI, I have no authority, but maybe some insight. Parts (plastic, metal, engine) for the GW were made in USA. In fact, the engine was made in Ana, Ohio.

That being said, further postings were correct in stating that Honda moved the construction of the GW from Marysville to ?????. There were further rumors that they were getting out of the touring business. Finally, the newest GWs (for my part) were too "sporty". After owning several GW for 15 years, I just didn't like them anymore . . .

So, enter the FLHTCUI. Riding the GW, I had forgotten how MUCH FUN riding could be!

IMVHO . . .

AND I'M GETTING DAMN TIRED OF WINTER!!!

--Phil Ritzenthaler

Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
poppa cooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool review, nice read, thanks for the info. if this is something you like to do you should pursue it. =)

Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have owned a few HDs and still do, but ended up buying an 06 GW in Savana GA and riding it back to PA last summer. It was owned by a millionaire who sold it for a song. I flew down and rode it back .. Put about 3500 miles on it on 6 weeks but sold it and my 05 sweet flht and bought an 09 Ultra. The Wing is fast and a big sport bike on 'roids. However, I felt it was top heavy which made it a chore in stop and go. I thought it had too much wind hitting the sides of my head. Ever notice the wings with all the plastic wind deflectors along the sides? But it was a quality, powerful bike that would last forever. I respect those that ride them and any other bike, but even though the quality of my HD "customer experience" is pretty disappointing in my neck of the woods, I am pleased to be riding my 09 black Ultra and can't wait to get riding again after this winter. Just bought warmnsafe jacket liner to help move the riding season a little closer.
imho.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned more than one Honda over the years, and a Goldwing was one of them. I've also ridden the Victories lineup. After going through a wide range of HD's, I've discovered a couple of things. Folks change, and so do their priorities. My HOG delivers exactly what I want in a bike. Enough power to get me down the road, the option to add a wide range of options and plenty of choices with an accessory catalog 2" thick; a superb dealer network across the country to support me in the event of a problem; an elegance that you have to own to appreciate, and a grace that provides the comfort to ride all day and all night if I choose, along with a sound that can't be duplicated by anything else. And finally, I just love to look at it when I'm eating in some little dive along the highway. Quite simply, it answers my needs, and I'm hooked for life. At least till something else blows my skirt up and answers a need I didn't know I had. LoL

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
A

+ B

= C

I'd quit riding if I couldn't buy a Harley.
UltraKla$$ic you never fail to amaze me--------keep em coming

Tim

Quick Reply: A Scholarly Exericise in the Comparison of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Honda G