Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Scholarly Exericise in the Comparison of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Honda G

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm trying to think of something nice to say about this thread, but just can't!!!
That GW is 'assembled' here...parts are from JAPAN!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Think is fine to compare other makes before making a 20K or more investment .. I chose Harley because is what I prefer personally .. Have test rode Victory's and Gold Wings .. Both are okay, but don't have the feel I am looking for ... But if wanted one wouldn't hesitate to buy it ..

Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 AM
dynodon89
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure the GW is not made in the US anymore. They closed the factory with the recession and all are made in Japan now. Still a great touring bike, but I want better MPG. Also, too wide, uncomfortable with forward pegs all the way "out" there!

The Vision is just too far out, and if I want a "kind of" Harley Look-alike I will get a HD.

Nobody mentioned the Yamaha Venture. Lowest buy-in of the lot, V4 that is smooth and cooler to ride. Another HD look-alike, but a great riding bike.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Yep, you write about like the rest of em. Obviously slanted opinion from the start. A few numbers mixed in but not really useful. H-D pricing of base black Ultra is listed and comparable to the other two. But title says it is the Ultra Limited.

Not sure where the extra 43 pounds comes from? Clue, 6cylinder vs. 2 cylinder.

As far as the previous comments are wings still assembled here? I thought I read that they moved out.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doc CJ - For starters, glad to hear you are on the mend enough to get back to riding.

Secondly, good effort at being a journalist - hone your skills - if you are going to be alive long enough to ride, you will be alive long enough to start cranking out some articles to submit.

Thirdly, I think your article outlines where many of us start when considering a major purchase, ie: Price and deals and comparing spec sheets. And, maybe that is all that you need. However, from my perspective I need to get on a bike for at least a day and ride in different conditions and different roads and I need to look at the bike as aesthetics are important. At the end of the day, the bike that leaves me with the biggest grin on my face is the one I'll buy.

So, in your comparison, you could of added your opinions of each and the grin factor of each. It's great to compare bikes but many readers are looking for the writers opinion of each and how you arrived at your final choice.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

All nice bikes I'm sure, but I'll stick with a Harley. There is SO much more to riding a motorcycle than the top speed/horespower and the money saved by buying anything except a Harley,........ for me anyway.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GW's are now assembled in Japan, the factory in Ohio was converted to making cars and no one lost their job in the conversion. HD's have many japanese and other foreign parts, i.e. showa forks (honda owns showa), carbs, fuel injection, wiring harness, etc. We just don't make this stuff in America any more. I buy Harley cause I like them and understand what I am getting. Don't give me the American thing though, if you go out and get into your cage and it says toyota, etc. Too many HD stickers on this stuff and the guy will say I buy american. Ford Chevy and Dodge still make trucks and cars, so don't give me the American thing if you drive foreign stuff.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation It's called SIMPLE MATH.......pay attention

A

+ B

= C

I'd quit riding if I couldn't buy a Harley.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too choose to ride a Harley by choice. I grew up with them, dreamed of owning and riding them, and am on my third currently. GW are nice bikes, just not what I want to hear, Victory's IMHO are a rather starnge looking machine, and again just don't have that HD rumble.

I have no ill feelings for guys who ride other manufactured bikes, I just prefer HDs. It's a good write up, but again as others stated there is something about pricing that HD buyers just don't look at.

I think like you however in the fact I rarely buy new, an look for the best used deal I can find. Buying used can easily save a couple grand, just you don't get break in period. and again I'm not a dealer guy, just don't trust them, or like talking to them.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the time taken to write this . However, several key components of the "exercise in comparison" are missing.
  1. Comfort while riding,balance, turning, slow handling, feel of the bike, one up or two?
  2. Options, parts availability for each unit, dealer network.
  3. Storage space and ease of function, volume of storage,accesibility. Dimensions and weight of what you loaded and how it made the bikes feel. Were they all loaded with like equipment?
  4. Placement of controls such as turn signals, kill swithch etc. Function of the controls, throttle response, gauge visibility, type, lighting, headlights at night,volume controls, cruise etc.
  5. Conditions during the rides. Rainy, dry, cold, warm, hot.
  6. Sound of the machines, idle and while in the throttle.
  7. Tires and suspension.
  8. Reaction/response from other riders, pedestrians, cagers.
  9. Maintenance cost and schedules, fluid capacities, tires,psi,type,size.
  10. Ease of maintenenace by consumer.
  11. Personal experience riding each bike, wind conditions, buffeting, wind noise. Wearing helmet, what type.
  12. No summary.
As you can see, a true contrast/comparison will encompass and discuss many aspects. I am in no way a critic. But I do know what I want to read about in a comparison article.
Who are the "we" that are heard of regarding race cars in Europe". Motosport experts? Qualify this satement. Some readers may not be in the Euro moto know.
And finaly, the limo pick up comment....who cares how you got to the pick up location. By stating you "were picked up by a wild eyed lime driver" only tells me that you are more concerned about your image on how you get somewhere and feel compelled to let people know this. This adds no value or information reagrding the article. Now if you were comparing mustards...then please pass the Grey Poupon...In myopinion,if you are in fact a seasoned rider, you would have spent more time on the above mentioned details.
In summary... it was a valiant effort and was fun to read but most importantly, in my case it was uninformative.
Ride safe on whatever you decide to ride.

Last edited by Our07Ultra; 02-01-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: A Scholarly Exericise in the Comparison of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Honda G