Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with intercom on 09 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:26 PM
wsaxton
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disappointed with intercom on 09 Ultra

Purchased an 09 Ultra about 5 months back and for Christmas bought 2 new HD 3/4 helmets and one new Boom Audio headset. Install the original headset in my helmet and the Boom Audio in my wife's. Went for a test ride and no matter where is set the vox my headset would not activate even if I yelled. The Boom Audio worked great in the back. I could use the PTT button to make the mike on my helmet turn on. When I took my bike in for the 5k service I asked the dealer to take a look at the headset. They replaced it with another 09 headset during the service and gave it back to me. When I left the dealer and tested the headset this one would activate no matter how low I set the vox. So the radio would keep cutting in and out. Took it back right away and had the dealer replace that headset with a Boom Audio. It does work but not good. I would like to hear the music through the speakers on the bike and use the speakers in the helmets just to talk with but I am not able to turn the speakers up very much at all before the mike turn on. I can turn the vox down but then I have to yell to get it to activate so what is the use. If I make the music come through the helmet things work much better but the sound quality in the helmets is less than impressive. I have the sock exhaust system on the bike is this normal?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:36 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wsaxton
Purchased an 09 Ultra about 5 months back and for Christmas bought 2 new HD 3/4 helmets and one new Boom Audio headset. Install the original headset in my helmet and the Boom Audio in my wife's. Went for a test ride and no matter where is set the vox my headset would not activate even if I yelled. The Boom Audio worked great in the back. I could use the PTT button to make the mike on my helmet turn on. When I took my bike in for the 5k service I asked the dealer to take a look at the headset. They replaced it with another 09 headset during the service and gave it back to me. When I left the dealer and tested the headset this one would activate no matter how low I set the vox. So the radio would keep cutting in and out. Took it back right away and had the dealer replace that headset with a Boom Audio. It does work but not good. I would like to hear the music through the speakers on the bike and use the speakers in the helmets just to talk with but I am not able to turn the speakers up very much at all before the mike turn on. I can turn the vox down but then I have to yell to get it to activate so what is the use. If I make the music come through the helmet things work much better but the sound quality in the helmets is less than impressive. I have the sock exhaust system on the bike is this normal?
I'm not trying to second guess you on this, but I have a 2099 Ultra and the IC works great. With a co-rider on the bike the VOX works just fine. I tend to believe maybe the settings need to be tweaked some. Sometimes the HK radio is a little finiky to get right and very few dealers know any more about them than you do.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hojones
I'm not trying to second guess you on this, but I have a 2099 Ultra and the IC works great. With a co-rider on the bike the VOX works just fine. I tend to believe maybe the settings need to be tweaked some. Sometimes the HK radio is a little finiky to get right and very few dealers know any more about them than you do.

I have 2 of the Harley headsets and they work fine also ?

Christian
Cleveland, Wisconsin

Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Copper Hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had any issues, but have had better experiences with better quality headset/mic's and better installations.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an 09 as well and bought the boom audio for the wife. Put them in our 3/4 helmets and away we went to Key West. It was great to be able to listen to the radio and talk instead of having to shout over the wind and road noise. AS previous poster says, you may need some tweaking on your settings. I'm happy with mine. Hope it works out ot for you

Bub

Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

There could be a loose connection or crimp somewhere in the wiring. But, by your description that does not sound like the problem. How does the system work if you swap headsets between the rider and passenger? Suggest you see if the dealer, or a different dealer, would re-flash the intercom. After the intercom wiring is initially installed and everything connected, there is a CD that is put into the CD player to flash the system. The flash has something to do with the internal connection interface between the audio system and the intercom system. Wish I had more details about the flash, but that is all I have. I hope this helps out...

The flash process is required for my 2009 SG with the HK audio system after the intercom installation. I assume your Ultra is the same if its using the HK audio system.

Last edited by NECaveman; 01-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the software version of the ST10 processor. version 8.22 was introduced to address VOX issues

Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Dannl
Cruiser

I have the Harley ones as well as J & M. The Harley ones work fine the J & M sound better but don't work as well ( cut in and out )

Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Mine work fine.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dannl
I have the Harley ones as well as J & M. The Harley ones work fine the J & M sound better but don't work as well ( cut in and out )
Me too! I just use the Harley ones all the time for intercom, music and CB.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with intercom on 09 Ultra