Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Head Scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 04:07 PM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser
Question Electrical Head Scratcher

Ok, I have the outer fairing off and took the inner cap off off of this '09 EGS. I installed the Cruise Control on the handle bar and the Cruise switch on the inner cap. When I put it back together I've got no power to the Aux switch - next to the new Cruise switch and no power to the cigarette lighter (tested with a multimeter). [All was fine previously and it's not like I've unplugged a bunch of wires or anything.]

There is power to the Cruise switch as the light on the switch comes on. The one on the Aux switch doesn't. And as I said, no power to the cigarette lighter. Fuses look good.

Took the inner cap off again and all looks good at the 105B connector. Can't test power to it as the fork is locked with the ignition switch removed from the bike.

Any ideas?

Old 01-30-2010 | 04:09 PM
Road Warrior

did you blow a fuse???/

Old 01-30-2010 | 04:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Do you have a Service Manual? I ask because 99% of the time, the problem is a pinched wire in the switch housing you installed and by identifying wire colors associated with the lost function, you can pinpoint the problem. Also, a blown fuse may be difficult to identify without bright light and good eye sight; I know from personal experience 'cause I've though a fuse was good when, upon closer inspection it wasn't.

Also, I'd double-check for an incorrectly wired cruise on/off switch in the fairing cap.

Hope you get the problem resolved soon.

Carl

Old 01-30-2010 | 04:40 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Does power to the Aux switch turn off when you switch the ignition off?
Shouldn't the cruise work this way as well? I'm wondering why your cruise switch is lit with the ignition off.

Last edited by piasspj; 01-30-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2010 | 04:50 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
It does on my 2005 UC

Old 01-30-2010 | 10:32 PM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piasspj
Shouldn't the cruise work this way as well? I'm wondering why your cruise switch is lit with the ignition off.
Power to the Aux Switch does turn off when the ignition switch is off. However, it is now also off when the ignition switch is on - hence the problem - no power to the Aux switch under any circumstances. (Or to the cigarette lighter)

Just got down working the Predator's - Thrasher's game so I'll tackle it in the morning. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 01-31-2010 | 09:56 AM
vanman59
Cruiser

I would check both sides of the fuse with a multimeter and go from there. I would suspect a bad fuse, pull it and ohm it out too.

Old 01-31-2010 | 10:09 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

Ah..the electrical gremlins.

If the fuses are o.k. try this.
Unplug the conectors and plug them back together and make sure they locked in. If this is not it you will need to get your Multi Meter and start checking.

Old 01-31-2010 | 10:23 AM
BackAt5O
Tourer

Have you flashed the ECM to activate the cruise control function?

Old 01-31-2010 | 10:44 AM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain

I tried to trace through the wiring diagrams and the only common point I find is the Aux fuse.

Quick Reply: Electrical Head Scratcher