Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Head Scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010 | 10:49 AM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vanman59
I would check both sides of the fuse with a multimeter and go from there. I would suspect a bad fuse, pull it and ohm it out too.
Fuse has been tested with an Ohm meter and it is fine. I'm trying to figure out where the cigarette lighter and the power for the Aux switch are common since both are now not working.

I'm going to pull the Cruise switch (next to Aux in the 105b connector block) and pull the Cruise Control connector from the main harness and see if my Aux and Cigarette power are back. I don't have the special ignition switch tool to move the ignition switch location so I have to keep taking it apart and putting it back together - a pain.

I wonder if I screwed up something in the ignition switch? (But the radio comes on...)

Old 01-31-2010 | 10:50 AM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BackAt5O
Have you flashed the ECM to activate the cruise control function?
Not yet.

Old 01-31-2010 | 10:51 AM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jimsreddyna
I tried to trace through the wiring diagrams and the only common point I find is the Aux fuse.
Thanks for that. I wasn't looking forward to doing that. I'm going to pull the Cruise Switch and Cruise control and try to set it back to normal and see what happens.

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:25 AM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser

This is getting weirder and weirder.

(I put the ignition switch back on without the inner cap on so I could try some things and move the switch to different positions to turn lights on and off.)

Current configuration after installing the Cruise Control and Cruise Control Switch: The Cruise Switch light comes on and the Aux Switch light does not and the cigarette lighter doesn't work.

But, [here's the weird part] if I switch the Accessory Fuse and the P & A Fuse (both 15 A) then the Cruise Switch light won't work but the Aux Switch light and the Cigarette lighter work! I've tried it with other fuses as well. If I switch the original Accessory Fuse out with any other 15A fuse then the Cruise control Switch light won't light but the Aux Switch light will and the cigarette lighter works!

Weird!!!!

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:48 AM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser

I HATE ELECTRICITY!!!!!

Decided to set the fuses back to original position to try some things (I had marked their positions) and now EVERYTHING WORKS!

I HATE ELECTRICITY!!!!!

Old 01-31-2010 | 12:06 PM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser

I truly hate electricity!!!

Waited five minutes - didn't change a thing and turned the ignition switch on again - NO AUX POWER! Back to square one!!!

Old 01-31-2010 | 12:22 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior

When things get weird it is usually a poor connection on either the power or ground side. I'd check to see if the circuits have a common ground point first.

Old 01-31-2010 | 01:35 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

Try removing the switch housing. When you remove it do they now work? if so you have a mis-routed or pinched wire.

Old 01-31-2010 | 01:45 PM
nocarb
Road Master

Originally Posted by RodeDawg
This is getting weirder and weirder.

(I put the ignition switch back on without the inner cap on so I could try some things and move the switch to different positions to turn lights on and off.)

Current configuration after installing the Cruise Control and Cruise Control Switch: The Cruise Switch light comes on and the Aux Switch light does not and the cigarette lighter doesn't work.

But, [here's the weird part] if I switch the Accessory Fuse and the P & A Fuse (both 15 A) then the Cruise Switch light won't work but the Aux Switch light and the Cigarette lighter work! I've tried it with other fuses as well. If I switch the original Accessory Fuse out with any other 15A fuse then the Cruise control Switch light won't light but the Aux Switch light will and the cigarette lighter works!

Weird!!!!
It sounds like you have found the problem. Replace the fuse.

Old 01-31-2010 | 04:47 PM
RodeDawg
|
Cruiser
Default Electrical Head Scrather - FOUND IT!

Well, after four fuses and a few beers and a lot of swearing at everything but myself, I found it. One of the other things I did in this winter mod project was new fork lowers. It seems, buried way back there in a dark and distance place hard to see and access, I may have pinched a wire from the Sirius Satellite radio powered from the cigarette lighter under the left side fork cap! Doh!! So everything was fine till I plugged that in and then 'pop'! There goes another.......

Now I just have to replace four 15A fuses....... Thanks all.

Okay, I am now open to the appropriate ridicule I so justly deserve.......

Quick Reply: Electrical Head Scratcher