Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lubricate cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 03:31 PM
strtarrow
|
Banned
Default Lubricate cables

I did a search on this but did not notice where it explained how it is done. Any help?

Old 01-30-2010 | 03:36 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't have looked too far. Best approach I've seen is detach clutch cable from lever (loosen cable first of course). Cut the corner out of a ziploc bag. put cable thru corner of bag. Secure bag around corner with rubber band (or zip tie). Put oil in bag (must would say use same oil as transmission oil). Allow oil to flow down cable.

Throttle cable is another story - Many recommendations here for DriSlide.

Old 01-30-2010 | 03:53 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by davessworks
Can't have looked too far. Best approach I've seen is detach clutch cable from lever (loosen cable first of course). Cut the corner out of a ziploc bag. put cable thru corner of bag. Secure bag around corner with rubber band (or zip tie). Put oil in bag (must would say use same oil as transmission oil). Allow oil to flow down cable.

Try this...
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/15-0001/

Old 01-30-2010 | 03:54 PM
UC-PoliceMan
Cruiser

I have an attachment that goes on the cable and you spray lube in it and it 'forces' the lube through the cable. You would need to do the clutch cable from the top and from the adjuster towards the clutch housing...

Got my adapter and cable lube(looks like a can of wd-40) from Dennis Kirk... here

Last edited by UC-PoliceMan; 01-30-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-30-2010 | 05:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by davessworks

I use the same idea for the clutch cable, except I cut a triangular section from a discarded envelope and use the same oil I use in the engine mixed with some moly grease. That really smooths the cable operation! I think your Ziploc idea is better and will try it next time, as the plastic would be easier to work with. Thanks for that tip.

The throttle cables are a bitch and hate doing that job. Those little ferrules are a PITA. The last time for that ordeal I used a dental syringe (plastic), and I think you can get these from a pharmacy. Or, you can browbeat your dentist like I did. The opening of these syringes is just barely large enough for oil to flow (slowly), yet small enough to fit inside the cable housing. My HD tech suggested injecting the oil at the adjuster. Loosen it all the way and expose the housing at the bottom of the adjuster. I'll be trying that method with the syringe next time.

Old 01-30-2010 | 05:20 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

I made one for the clutch cable using a short piece of clear plastic hose that barely fits over the eye of the cable. A small hose clamp seals it around the cable housing. i put a small amount of oil in the hose and use my air gun at low pressure to force the lube down the cable. Takes less time than writing this post. Got a cable luber (just like the one from Motion Pro) for the throttle cables.

Old 01-30-2010 | 05:27 PM
Arizaino
Cruiser

I've found this stuff to be awesome!...loosen your cable adjustment, take the lever assy lose from the handle bars.....drip 20-30 drops into the cable entrance using the syringe that comes with the lube.....re-assemble, adjust your cable and bada boom, bada bing...you're done. I've been using this for 2 years now and I love it......much better than any dry lube I've seen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...53S2WVN87Z5X3E

Old 01-30-2010 | 05:36 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Arizaino
I've found this stuff to be awesome!...loosen your cable adjustment, take the lever assy lose from the handle bars.....drip 20-30 drops into the cable entrance using the syringe that comes with the lube.....re-assemble, adjust your cable and bada boom, bada bing...you're done. I've been using this for 2 years now and I love it......much better than any dry lube I've seen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...53S2WVN87Z5X3E
I also use the "Inox" and love the stuff. The applicator is great.

You guys with the baggy and rubberband, great idea but the braided lines can get stained that way. Black lines, no problem. But the Inox is still faster and easier.

Dry slide is good, but my applicator tip got clogged so many times that I threw the chit away.

Inox,.... the best and easiest I have found. Even smells good. LOL

Old 01-30-2010 | 05:37 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

How often do you guy's lube your clutch cable?

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:02 AM
Arizaino
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ronp42
How often do you guy's lube your clutch cable?
I usually do my lube every 3,000-4,000 miles, when I service my bike. I change all my fluids except my tranny and clean my air filter (K&N). In my tranny, I use Amsoil Severe Gear....good for 50,000 miles. I love that stuff too.

Quick Reply: Lubricate cables