Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HCC apes or wild one chubbys apehangers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull back inches are very important if you want to ride with the apehangers aligned with the forks. I have the Chubby 16".

Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 PM
jpnelson1978
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q Hog
Pull back inches are very important if you want to ride with the apehangers aligned with the forks. I have the Chubby 16".

i do not want them in line with the forks. i actually like the look of them pushed forward almost verticle. two different ape dealers told me "18' wild one chubbys aligned with the forks will be too close to your chest". im quite tall and my back is more comfortable when i reach so i got the bars with less pullback. HCC said theyre bars are the same exact quality as the chubbies

Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
jpnelson1978
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
I would also be interested in the answer to this question. Im looking at both also, HCC has a killer package deal on ebay for apes.

Kind of funny, I also have a 2006 Road King Custom!
you should call them. they can help you more on the phone. you will also need a one piece top clamp from harley they sell as well. i got the bars pre-wired with the black switches only and im using my stock controls. ive heard a few negative things about the chrome switches and controls, but most seem happy. how tall are you? ive spent 2 weeks of research trying to decide on 16" or 18"s. alot of people on here said they wish they would have gotten 18s and the hcc guy i talked to has a road king, he's 5-10 and said 18s are perfect for him. i hope these fu$%ers arent too tall.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Lawnboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpnelson1978
you should call them. they can help you more on the phone. you will also need a one piece top clamp from harley they sell as well. i got the bars pre-wired with the black switches only and im using my stock controls. ive heard a few negative things about the chrome switches and controls, but most seem happy. how tall are you? ive spent 2 weeks of research trying to decide on 16" or 18"s. alot of people on here said they wish they would have gotten 18s and the hcc guy i talked to has a road king, he's 5-10 and said 18s are perfect for him. i hope these fu$%ers arent too tall.
Im 5'6", thats why i was thinking 16's, sat on a road king with 18's and they are too tall for me. I will call them, just trying to save some cash. What is the reason for needing the one piece top clamp?

Thanks for the info, I plan on ordering soon, I have a whole plastic tub of goodies to go on the bike and just want to add these.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM
chopped7
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why 2 weeks. I ordered 18s on Wednesday and I got an email today saying they have been shipped. No tracking # thoughi ordered the hcc version. He told me that 18s over 16s with less pullback is better on road kings cause you sit higher up. I'm 6"2 an that's what he recomended. I'm scared they will be a bit Atoo tall but we will see.

they told me 5 days build time then shipping. maybe they were just giving themselves a cushion. i ordered them prewired, controls, cables, brake res, levers switches, grips, .......the whole 9. maybe they need a little extra time. i hope they come sooner.

i think 18's will be fine for you. i sat on my buddies rk with 16's and they were perfect. i'm 5'7 and my friend is even a little shorter. one of our friends is 6'. he got 14's and really wishes he would have went taller.

Last edited by chopped7; 01-31-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...... i hope these fu$%ers arent too tall.
Post some pics for us when you get them on and let us know what you think.....

Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
jpnelson1978
Tourer

Kbore I will post some pics. And for anybody else posting, let us know which brand you own or plan on ordering. Wild one chubbies or the HCC bars.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 PM
jpnelson1978
Tourer

From my research I have heard the one piece top clamp holds the bars much more secure. Another member here gave me some awesome advise. He said when I install them to take 2- 1inch sections of drywall sanding screen and wrap it almost one full turn around the bars before tightening the one piece top clamp. He said the bars will not move. Apparently apes like to move back and forth.
Originally Posted by Lawnboy
Im 5'6", thats why i was thinking 16's, sat on a road king with 18's and they are too tall for me. I will call them, just trying to save some cash. What is the reason for needing the one piece top clamp?

Thanks for the info, I plan on ordering soon, I have a whole plastic tub of goodies to go on the bike and just want to add these.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did cyclesmiths and bought a handlebar dress up kit and cables and still paid about $625. That HCC place wanted 900. Whenever I tried to email them with questions they took forever to respond, so I order elsewhere and did all the labor myself. Really not that hard to do, just takes a little patience. Saved almost $300. I love them

Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hill country customs has there own exclusive ape hangers. They are the same dimesions as the chubbys except for less pullback. I believe pullback is 8" instead of 12.5" Anybody have any expierience with the hcc bars?
I just got done putting on the full set up from HCC last weekend and I like them so far, I did get to ride it to work on Friday and I got a small ride in yesterday, I can say they work way better than the beach type bars I had on the bike.
They are built a little straighter than most so your wrists are straighter. I'm 5'10" and my hands are right at heart level.

Attached Thumbnails HCC apes or wild one chubbys apehangers-dsc02916.jpg   HCC apes or wild one chubbys apehangers-dsc02917.jpg  

Quick Reply: HCC apes or wild one chubbys apehangers