Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Capecodgirl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty thoughts

I would love to hear some of your thoughts on this subject. I was at my local Harley dealership and I sat down with them to discuss this issue. My factory warranty ends on April 1st 10.
I am considering buying their extended warranty. Here are the prices.

I"ve had my bike for two years, so no matter which coverage i get I have to subtract the 2 years right off the bat.

4 yr warranty is 1385.
5 yr warranty is 1585.
6 yr warranty is 1860
7 yr is the maximine and that is 2255.

This is doesn't covere wear/tear items.
for everything that ***** the bed, my out of pocket no matter what is 50$

As we all know it can get VERY expensive as the years go by. I'm trying to figure out whick warranty uear to buy? I'm going to do one of them but not sure which one yet..

What are ya'll's thoughts on this subject? I would love to hear them!!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 PM
TexasFLHX
Road Master

Extended warranty's IMHO suck!! If your gonna do upgrades to the engine i wouldn't bother buying the extended warranty, especially if its non-moco parts.. Any reason to deny you is what they are after.

If your not gonna do upgrades (Engine) why in the hell would you need an extended warranty. Harley's are now much more reliable. Most never need any warranty work. We pay outragous prices for these bikes and if they can't last 5 years w/o something going wrong then they need to do some serious re-engineering. So, If they do need warranty work it ain't that many times and with the prices you got quoted you could pretty much fix most minor issues for less or find an Indy to fix it cheaper. They sell extended warrantys to make money (duh). They know 90% is profit. Of course this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinons. Take Care

Last edited by TexasFLHX; 01-30-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I will tell you that you should shop around, those prices are high!!!! I have priced them out and have found the average around me is about 1600 and some change for the 5 year (which is a 7 year)... so I would call another dealership, it doesnt matter where you buy it from, HD will honor it!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pointless - and almost worthless if you mod the bike (cams that sort of thing). Save the money - imagine what that kinda money would pay for if something went wrong.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had extended warranty on my 2 previous bikes. Used the warranty 3 times on minor stuff. I didn't get my moneys worth. Now I don't have it on my 2010 and I'm sure the entire engine will take a dump the day after it expires.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rerb95
well I will tell you that you should shop around, those prices are high!!!! I have priced them out and have found the average around me is about 1600 and some change for the 5 year (which is a 7 year)... so I would call another dealership, it doesnt matter where you buy it from, HD will honor it!

That's kinda true but the reality is it isn't a Harley warranty in the first place - these types of warranties are underwritten by third parties.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1. The Extended Service Plan starts from the day you buy the Plan, not when you bought your bike. So I don't understand your statement about taking two years off the contract.

2. As mentioned, shop for the price. Any HD dealer can sell you the contract and it is honored at any HD store.

3. What model and year bike do you have and how much do you ride? If your bike is pre-07, and you ride much, you can count on a cam chain tensioner failure at about the 40-50K mile mark which would be a covered repair and cost about $600-$700. Also, it's not uncommon to have a starter motor failure which costs about the same with high mileage bikes.

4. HD sells the ESP because the number of people buying them don't experience covered repairs in large enough numbers, so HD makes a profit. But if you are a person who puts a lot of miles on a bike compared to the average HD owner who may put 3K or less on a bike annually, chances are greater that you will have a covered repair during the contract period.

5. Can you afford to be self-insured? This is just another way of asking if you had a major repair, could you comfortably pay the bill.

Good luck with your research and shopping.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 AM
dredy2g
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
1. The Extended Service Plan starts from the day you buy the Plan, not when you bought your bike. So I don't understand your statement about taking two years off the contract.

2. As mentioned, shop for the price. Any HD dealer can sell you the contract and it is honored at any HD store.

3. What model and year bike do you have and how much do you ride? If your bike is pre-07, and you ride much, you can count on a cam chain tensioner failure at about the 40-50K mile mark which would be a covered repair and cost about $600-$700. Also, it's not uncommon to have a starter motor failure which costs about the same with high mileage bikes.

4. HD sells the ESP because the number of people buying them don't experience covered repairs in large enough numbers, so HD makes a profit. But if you are a person who puts a lot of miles on a bike compared to the average HD owner who may put 3K or less on a bike annually, chances are greater that you will have a covered repair during the contract period.

5. Can you afford to be self-insured? This is just another way of asking if you had a major repair, could you comfortably pay the bill.

Good luck with your research and shopping.
thats me self insured. I have a buddy thats a magician when it comes down to turning a wrench. So I get the part and a 12pack or lucky #7 and thats my labor cost.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 AM
liv2ride57
Advanced

My recommendation is don't by the warranty. I have never received my monies worth out of the them including on my last ride. My way of thinking now is rather than ever purchase another extended warranty, I self fund any expense after original manufacturers warranty is over. This goes for cars, bikes, appliances, whatever. I'll then be way ahead of the game over the long haul.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The insurance companies that underwrite the policies will take any step possible to reject a claim.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty thoughts