Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The extended warranty is a good deal for some people and not for others. If you ride to the local watering hole once a week and spend more time polishing the bike then riding it an extended warranty probley isn't for you. I bought one on my '08 for $1,300 for seven years. I have over 44,000 on it now and by the time the extended warranty runs out I should have around 200,000 on it. The bike has allready been in for new lifters, bad primary shaft bearing and broken fairing bracket. on the factory warranty. I have no doubt that it will pay for itself easy.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Digger53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the 7 year ESP for my 2007 Ultra at the same time I purchased the bike. The ESP with wheel and tire coverage was $1495.00. Some have posted the ESP is a waste of money, didn't get their money's worth or ESP are a rip-off. I believe it just comes down to how many miles you ride and how long you plan on owning the bike. Like some have pointed out if you plan on doing mods on your ride you might want to make sure they will be covered under the ESP.

A ESP may not be beneficial for you, but for me it has saved me a few dollars and I'm pretty sure it will continue to save me a few dollars down the road. I listed what The ESP has covered and paid after the two year factory expired. I have yet had anything rejected that needed repaired. It has always been a smooth transaction without any questions asked.

104k Miles R&R Radio Repair Bill $532.84
96k Miles R&R Compensator Rotor Assembly, Chain Tensioner and Primary Chain. Repair Bill $500.28
95K Miles R&R Main shaft Seals $354.44
83K Miles Stator plug leak, new stator and Mainshaft bearing. Repair bill $525.00
83K Miles R&R Frt Cylinder Head damaged Threads plug Repair Bill $1159.80
80K Miles Cam Tensioners and oil pump. Repair bill $789.29
75K miles Clutch, Front engine mount, Shift Shaft Seal and Clutch Cable Assy. Repair Bill $894.75

Total amount $4756.40

Digger
Camas, WA
2007 Ultra

Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

It's depend on how much or how hard you ride it.I have always bought the ESP on my all new HD so far 5 in past 5 years still have 2 in my garage.I sold other 3 and cash out remainder of unused portion of the ESP from MOTO CO 70to 80%. It cost me only $999 each on all bikes for 5 year plan.But let me tell you on my 2007 Ultra I have used it so many times I think I made more then what I paid for on all my bikes plans.My dealer never ask question for warranty issues just bring $50 bucks .You have to keep it HD for any mods .That's what I have done so far paid little labor to upgrade all the way up to to 103 kit just pay extra for upgrade parts. Every time they tear it down I pimp it up little save me labor and under warranty.Again if you ride like most HD owners (very little) you don't need it don't give your money away for nothing.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Digger53
I purchased the 7 year ESP for my 2007 Ultra at the same time I purchased the bike. The ESP with wheel and tire coverage was $1495.00. Some have posted the ESP is a waste of money, didn't get their money's worth or ESP are a rip-off. I believe it just comes down to how many miles you ride and how long you plan on owning the bike. Like some have pointed out if you plan on doing mods on your ride you might want to make sure they will be covered under the ESP.

A ESP may not be beneficial for you, but for me it has saved me a few dollars and I'm pretty sure it will continue to save me a few dollars down the road. I listed what The ESP has covered and paid after the two year factory expired. I have yet had anything rejected that needed repaired. It has always been a smooth transaction without any questions asked.

104k Miles R&R Radio Repair Bill $532.84
96k Miles R&R Compensator Rotor Assembly, Chain Tensioner and Primary Chain. Repair Bill $500.28
95K Miles R&R Main shaft Seals $354.44
83K Miles Stator plug leak, new stator and Mainshaft bearing. Repair bill $525.00
83K Miles R&R Frt Cylinder Head damaged Threads plug Repair Bill $1159.80
80K Miles Cam Tensioners and oil pump. Repair bill $789.29
75K miles Clutch, Front engine mount, Shift Shaft Seal and Clutch Cable Assy. Repair Bill $894.75

Total amount $4756.40

Digger
Camas, WA
2007 Ultra
I think it would be safe to assume sir, that you spend more time riding then polishing !

Old 02-02-2010, 06:00 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Do you ride? I got the 7 year with tire & wheel for $17.60/month. I'll put between 15,000-25,000 a year on the Limited, so knowing that I'll never be stranded, and that nothing will cost more than $50 is money well spent.

If you're a barhopper, it's not worth it.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Capecodgirl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rthomp159
Do you ride? I got the 7 year with tire & wheel for $17.60/month. I'll put between 15,000-25,000 a year on the Limited, so knowing that I'll never be stranded, and that nothing will cost more than $50 is money well spent.

If you're a barhopper, it's not worth it.
What dealership was that? here in Va @ Southside Harley they told me it was a one time fee.
Are you saying that you have the 7 year and are paying on it MONTHLY at 17.60? That's what I read, BUT, I just want to clarify!
Appreciate the info. If that's the case I can ride to Maryland easy from VA!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think he is paying monthly. I think he just figured the cost divided by the months.

Personally I posted this question a week or so ago. For the most part they convinced me to keep my money. I think I'll pass. But I do have 60 days to decide at their purchase price offer. (The deal they offered me when I bought the bike.)

Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
thehueg
Cruiser

Five year (3 on top of factory 2) for $850. No tire/wheels.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Capecodgirl
What dealership was that? here in Va @ Southside Harley they told me it was a one time fee.
Are you saying that you have the 7 year and are paying on it MONTHLY at 17.60? That's what I read, BUT, I just want to clarify!
Appreciate the info. If that's the case I can ride to Maryland easy from VA!
No, sorry. I paid $1470-something for the 7 year with tire&wheel. But it works out to $17.60 a month for 7 years. Look online (check Ebay) for better deals than your local dealer will give you. The dealer I bought the bike from wanted over $2,000 for what I got.

FWIW, I didn't get the coverage on my Night Train. It would have been wasted money, as nothing has gone wrong on that bike. But on a new-fangled touring bike, there's so much crap on it that can go wrong, it's not worth the hassle. Especially since this bike will only be used for long, out-of-state trips.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Capecodgirl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thehueg
Five year (3 on top of factory 2) for $850. No tire/wheels.
what dealership did you get your warranty from in Mass? that is a steal!

Looked on Ebay and didn't find any good deals! I'm desperately searching as I have till April 1st and that aint no joke! I put on a LOT of miles and am planning a cross country trip this year! I just want PIECE OF MIND!!!

Thanks Everyone for all the comments! Keep'em coming!

Quick Reply: Extended warranty thoughts