Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Gotta Pay Full Price!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 09:44 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

In the 90's no one was selling at list price, just get on a waiting list and pay what they were asking. Harley has seen a few ups and downs in the last 107 years, should be around a few more.

Old 01-30-2010 | 10:03 AM
TexasFLHX
Road Master

I always wanted a Harley, even when i couldn't afford one. Got out and worked for a living. Paid my dues!! Don't get me wrong their are other alternatives to owning a Harley, metric bikes can be fun! But, when i went to trade mine 1800VTX no Harley dealer in my area would touch it for what i and Kelly blue book said it was worth. I don't have this problem even now with my Harley. Seems there doing something right!

Old 01-30-2010 | 10:07 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HalfFast
I agree with this. When something gets cheap enough for everyone to have one, everyone will have one and then all of them will be worthless.

+1

Old 01-30-2010 | 10:20 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bikes
There's a difference between cheap and less expensive and more affordable to a degree without everyone having one. Part of marketing is to maintain a planned profit growth. That can't be accomplished if more units are not sold. The down side of that is when the economy is a major player things don't happen the way everyone want them to. Normal planning is out the door when that happens.
Actually, it is quite easy to maintain a profit growth without selling more units or making them more affordable. Quite simply, you cut your overhead which HD has done which in turn, upholds the unit value.

Old 01-30-2010 | 11:09 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RexBuck
I don't have a problem with that strategy. I, like everybody else, wants to get the best deal possible and I will go out of my way to get it. But when you start seeing a business cutting prices (and their margins) just to move product, then you know they overproduced.

I suspect in the case of Harley that they know their volumes are not going to increase a lot even if they implement substantial price cuts since these are luxury items. If a potential customer is feeling the financial pinch or worried that he might, then he probably won't be looking at a new bike whether its $20K or $18K. So, if they cut prices, volumes don't increase substantially but their gross profit takes a huge hit. I think I'd rather buy from a smaller but successful company rather than one that tries to be everything to everybody and may not be around next year.
I was just think about this earlier today. It seems to me that for any person that is willing to pay anywhere from $15K to $25K for A MOTORCYCLE , a couple of thousand dollars more or less isn't gonna too much difference.
I have bought several new motorcycles in the past, and I never did try to get the deal down too the LAST dollar. I know that a few do, but not all that many. The MOCO is just betting that there are more saps like me, than not. That what this strategy is all about.

Old 01-30-2010 | 12:06 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
Maybe it will keep the resale of old ones higher. Anyway I'm spent out. So I'm out of that game for a while.
I'm with you man.Mines payed for so i will count my blessings and hope that things look up in the near future....Certainly won't hold my breath....I am learning to be thankful for what i have and not disappointed for those i have not!..... This is definitly no time for anyone to overextend

Old 01-30-2010 | 12:17 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

Hd=greedy bastards

Old 01-31-2010 | 01:24 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Saw the link for the new '48' and assumed the list price would be under $10k. When I read that Harley was looking to add an affordable model I was not expecting the bike to list for almost $11k.

Old 01-31-2010 | 04:52 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Devo6684
Saw the link for the new '48' and assumed the list price would be under $10k. When I read that Harley was looking to add an affordable model I was not expecting the bike to list for almost $11k.
That bike must be aimed at a market that I've never been a part of.

Two words - UG LEE!

Old 01-31-2010 | 08:34 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jpooch00
That bike must be aimed at a market that I've never been a part of.

Two words - UG LEE!

One word....Ditto

Quick Reply: You Gotta Pay Full Price!!!