Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:19 PM
Easyglide
|
Tourer
Default Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?

I was walking out of my local Harley Dealership this morning and there was rider and his wife who had just purchased an 06 Electra Glide a few months earlier. Since I am taking delivery of an 07 EGC in a few days, I was checking out his bike and ask him what were the main upgrades he made before the bike left the store.

Along with the 95 kit and Stage One upgrade, he also had an oil cooler installed. He strongly recommended I add an oil cooler. He considered it essential for the hot days here in Texas, and said it really helped keep his engine oil running 20 - 30 degrees cooler.

That's about a $350 upgrade which I had no plan to install. I have read several threads on this forum relating to the heat management system kicking in during hot, stop and go driving situations.

That got me curious as to what percentage of Touring Bike owners have felt the need to add an oil cooler.

My initial take is that if a bagger needed an oil cooler, it would come with one stock--or is that a naive observation to have?

$350 is a lot cheaper than a new engine, so I would welcome some knowledgeable input from you bagger riders out there.

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:21 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?

Oiler cooler will help esp in traffic.Thermo controlled version is what you want when cooler weather arrives.HDs cooler is a good unit.

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:45 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I've added one and a fan.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4133/C94D35868E3341EA8E6638A6EFA9F17A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:45 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

I have never had my bike go into heat management and the highest oil temp I have had is 222F. It's been a hot summer and I just don't see the need for a oil cooler!

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:47 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Me too,had other bikes with me coughing and sputtering in traffic with no coolers installed while mine was fine even with lwrs installed.Heat kills.

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:50 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned

I just put a Jagg cooler and thermo adapter on...here in ft worth this week i never saw it get above 200...it was 107 ambient on Tuesday

Old 07-22-2006 | 09:51 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

I put one on mine when I had the 95 kit installed at 1000 miles. I ride in well over 100 degree heat all the time and my bike has only gone into HM mode once in Yuma in 112 degree temps. I think it was money well spent.

Old 07-22-2006 | 10:06 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
From: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

This has been a very hot summer. Multiple consecutive days over 120 F. Triple digit over-night temps. Freeway riding with tons of stop and go, riding around town, plus many miles of uninterrupted cruising speeds. No oil cooler, and no heat-related problems experienced.

Old 07-22-2006 | 11:03 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

I added the HD Premium Oil Cooler to mine and I'm loving it. Bike rarely gets over 210 degrees now. Without a doubt, it's the most functional part I've added to the bike in the year I've had it.

Old 07-23-2006 | 01:39 AM
Hugh Betcha
Intermediate

I am getting my RG upped to 95 and asked if they recommended an oil cooler. The answer from the dealer was "definitly not, we have had a lot of problems with them leaking and serivice has asked us not to sell them".

Quick Reply: Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?