Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006 | 01:08 PM
toddreber
Advanced
Default RE: Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?

Love my cooler........wished I would have put it on earlier.....install the jaggs..... it sits on the upright out in the wind. Not behind the front fender.

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:34 AM
BigAl1951
Intermediate

Went for a ride up here in sunny Manitoba yesterday and the temp was about 34 C (95 F for those of you south of the border) without a cooler on my 07 SG and the temp read 249 F at a stop for supper. Seems too high for me [:@]and my HD dealer has a Premium cooler available so I said put my name on it. Price does not matter if it is going to save the engine in the long run. Has anyone put one of these kits on? I am thinking of doing it my self, as I a mechanically enclined and was wondering how long it would take and what is involve?

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:41 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

They are easy to install.

Should take 60~90 minutes the first time. No biggie....

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:45 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

lots of threads, eeezzzy diy on these newer bikes anyway. by it online around 240. ignore instrutions about re-routing wireing on regulator. will need one uncommon 11 mm socket allen. hd one looks cool but 10 row jagg may be better.

I really like. runnin stock and that and some other things have really cooled this hot head down

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:46 AM
BigAl1951
Intermediate

Went on a ride yesterday on my 07 SG with the temp around 95 F and my oil temp when I stopped was 249 F as shown on my digital oil temp gauge annd level indicator. This is too hot for me and I managed to get the Premium HD Oil Cooler from my dealer today. In the long run, I think it will be better for the engine. Was wondering if it is difficult to install yourself and how long it takes. Stealer wants 1 1/2 to 2 hours labour. I think this is too much for the difficulty of the installation.

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:50 AM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

Added an oil cooler to my ultra before it left the showroom floor. Keeps the engine cooler which makes it more comfortable for the rider or passenger.

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:56 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Rode from Mile 1 with the HD Prem. oil cooler, maybe the best "chrome" accessory I ever installed. If you think the oil cooler doesn't work in stop-and-go traffic, warm your bike up to operating temperature and stick your hand over its grill. What you're feeling is the oil cooler helping to cool the bike, even when it's not moving - not to mention the extra oil volume it adds to distribute cooling.

Old 07-25-2007 | 12:00 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Anthony8858

I need to clear something up here....

Oil coolers do not work in stop and go traffic.

They only work when there's enough air movement to flow through the coils of the cooler.

Not this again[sm=headbang.gif]

They work all the time as long as the oil is hot enough toopen the Thermostat. Unless of course the outside air tempature is hotter then the oil. [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Sometime it works better then other times but they always are working.

Old 07-25-2007 | 12:15 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

I have one and it works as advertised. These engines are air and oil cooled- anything you can do to help cool them down is a bonus. As a heat exchanger they work when stopped in traffic as long as the air around them is less than the temperature of the radiator coils (and it will be) but of course their efficiency increases when you're moving.
Consider that when you do move briefly between stops in traffic you'll have both the fins of the engine and the oil cooler reducing your oil temp, as opposed to just the engine fins.

They work well, and are one of the cheapest investments you can make to ensure engine longevity.

Old 07-25-2007 | 12:23 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

lots of threads, eeezzzy diy on these newer bikes anyway. by it online around 240. ignore instrutions about re-routing wireing on regulator. will need one uncommon 11 mm socket allen. hd one looks cool but 10 row jagg may be better.

I really like. runnin stock and that and some other things have really cooled this hot head down
Ahh yes, the 11 mm allen or a bolt and 2 nuts. I think I used 1/4".

Quick Reply: Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?