Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006 | 10:03 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master
Default RE: Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?

I need to clear something up here....

Oil coolers do not work in stop and go traffic.

They only work when there's enough air movement to flow through the coils of the cooler.

Old 07-23-2006 | 10:30 AM
lschultz
Road Master

I have close to 8000 miles on mine and its never gone into HM on me and you know how the traffic is in Austin. Went out to Big Bend about a month ago and no heat problems. I think if you run a good synthetic you want have any problems. And I don't run the HD syn.

Old 07-23-2006 | 10:31 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Anthony8858

I need to clear something up here....

Oil coolers do not work in stop and go traffic.

They only work when there's enough air movement to flow through the coils of the cooler.

They do when you modify them and have a fan that comes on when the engine heat is sufficiant to need that extra cooling, like the fan on the cylinders!

I plan on adding a fan to my oil cooler that does come on when my cylinder fan comes on.

Old 07-23-2006 | 10:53 AM
ricoman
Road Master

I believe oil coolers come on most SE models. I went with a Jagg unit a while back and am pleased with the results. A thermostat is a must. Mine came without (the new ones have them) so I have to resort to a cover in cool weather.
A cooler does help in traffic if only because of the surface area available for some help. If you live where it gets hot, a cooler should be considered.

Old 07-23-2006 | 11:07 AM
DeathWind
Tourer

Having looked at various coolers, I like the idea of modifying the front engine guard to act as the cooler. Instead of using the jag adapter or thermostat, You can get the chrome oil filter mount for the super premium kit (62895-03b) for $204 at Zanotti. It has the thermostat built in and the cooler lines are routed in a better position than the jag adapter or the adapter in the regular H-D cooler kit. The part number is 26015-03. These oil cooler kits feature are designed for installation on 1999 and later Twin Cam 88 Touring model motorcycles. The entire kit is $338 from Zanotti. Just depends on what look you want.

Regardless of air flow or not, there will still be an exchange of heat from the oil cooler fins to the surrounding cooler air. The cooler is more effective with the bike moving, but to say the oil cooler doesn't function if the bike is stopped is wrong. It's a heat exchanger and it will continue to shed heat, although less effectively.

Old 07-23-2006 | 11:30 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Easyglide

I was walking out of my local Harley Dealership this morning and there was rider and his wife who had just purchased an 06 Electra Glide a few months earlier. Since I am taking delivery of an 07 EGC in a few days, I was checking out his bike and ask him what were the main upgrades he made before the bike left the store.

Along with the 95 kit and Stage One upgrade, he also had an oil cooler installed. He strongly recommended I add an oil cooler. He considered it essential for the hot days here in Texas, and said it really helped keep his engine oil running 20 - 30 degrees cooler.

That's about a $350 upgrade which I had no plan to install. I have read several threads on this forum relating to the heat management system kicking in during hot, stop and go driving situations.

That got me curious as to what percentage of Touring Bike owners have felt the need to add an oil cooler.

My initial take is that if a bagger needed an oil cooler, it would come with one stock--or is that a naive observation to have?

$350 is a lot cheaper than a new engine, so I would welcome some knowledgeable input from you bagger riders out there.

Harley would make engine an option if they could [:@] as a way to sell you more stuff and reap the extra profitt. So no Harley would not include it if needed. Yes I have installed one from Jag. [Jag makes some of Harleys oil coolers for Harley.]

Old 07-23-2006 | 12:20 PM
jackj
Banned

Because of the long distance riding I do, I added one, especially with the 95" motor we just recently did, I figure if oil collers are installed by HD on any motor over 88, the cooling is just enough to get by as it is. ;

Old 07-23-2006 | 12:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Oil temps on TC's tend to be high compared to Evos. My Evo rarely goes above 165 in winter, 185 in summer, and 200 is the highest I've seen it, thus I don't need a cooler. OTOH, if temps regularly go above 200 I would install one with a 185-deg. thermostat, even if you use synthetic oil. If you use fossil oil I would consider it a must on a TC, and if I had a one it would be one of the first items I would install even though I use synthetic oil.

Installing one without a thermostat is a very bad idea, because it will decelerate oil heating to normal operating temps, and in cool weather decreases mileage and may contaminate the oil with more gas (from enriched mixture) and water than normal. The oil has additives to absorb the water, which is a byproduct of combustion, and acids that result from mixing it with the sulphur in gas--but it can go only so far. Doing a lab test on oil will tell you much, including the TBN (total base number), which is a reading of the oil's ability to absorb acids.

Old 07-23-2006 | 12:47 PM
MntCruiser
Cruiser

I tried to order a Harley Premium oil cooler and was told it has been discontinued. Anyone know if a newer version is coming out?

Old 07-23-2006 | 12:59 PM
DeathWind
Tourer

Just replace the "a" at the end of the part number to "b". Looks the same and can't see what they did to it to revise it to the b version

62895-03b

Quick Reply: Did you add an Oil Cooler to your Bagger?