Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Born2cure
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno question

I had a 103 installed with head work and cams. Had it dynoed they said 2 hrs. Charged $350. My question is, is this a good amount of time for full map tune. I read on HQ web site that a 2 hr tune is nor enough time. I feel I can get more them 108 tq and 96 hp. Indy that did work was expecting 106 hp and 115 tq or close to it. Any thoughts!
Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Well, if you only got 2 hours, and they charge you 350, thats a real rip off, at least around here dyno time is about $80, but $175 is nutty.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To do a full tune, it takes a lot longer then 2 hours.

A good tune hits every throttle position and every load for each cylinder, then goes back over them for timing as well. It can take 8 hours or more to get a good complete tune, and that is what is going to cost you around $400 or so.

Steve

Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard 3 hrs for the tune at $80hr. He may just be that good. Or that lazy.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kinda pipes you runnin???? 2/1 would normally bring numbers up 5/8 points

Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

It's hard saying. What kind of tuner are you using? Power Commander? SERT? SEST? It depends on how close the MAP they started with is. If they had a MAP already tuned for a bike with your build then the tune wouldn't take as long.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:02 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

TO ME, you are not that far off with those numbers. The true duals will keep the TQ lower than anticipated, it's the HP that seems just a little low since you had some headwork. I'd figure your HP would break 100hp if the headwork job was done correctly. And of course there is always the issue of the tune being off.

The REAL question is:

How does it ride?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
TO ME, you are not that far off with those numbers. The true duals will keep the TQ lower than anticipated, it's the HP that seems just a little low since you had some headwork. I'd figure your HP would break 100hp if the headwork job was done correctly. And of course there is always the issue of the tune being off.

The REAL question is:

How does it ride?
Agreed!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

"Thoughts" about what? Are two hours enough for a "full tune," not unless the dyno tuner has previously tuned bikes with your build as harleytuner and MUC already posted.

Or, are you asking if 96 hp and 108 tq close to the max available at WOT for your build? If that's what you are asking, the hp number seems low as UK mentioned in his post.

If the indy is familiar with the build he installed, presumably he's familiar with the dyno shop(s) that tuned that build and got the numbers he told you. If you want the numbers, consider taking the bike to the shop that got those numbers.

Since you probably spend very little time riding at WOT, you should probably be more concerned with the rideability and mileage of the tune/build. Mileage will be a good indicator of whether you got a good "full tune" as well as smooth throttle response.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

IMO no that is not enough time for a proper tune AND for 2 hours that is crazy...More than my lawyer gets! My last tune cost $480... I took the better part of a whole day spread out over 3 days for cooling and getting engine to proper operating temps. A lot more involved in a tune than spinning it on a dyno and loading a map..It, IMHO, is money well spent...A good tune ain't cheap and a cheap tune ain't good...

Quick Reply: Dyno question