Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 question

Has anybody here ever done the stage one kit and not had the dealer flash it or what ever they do. I Never ride at high RPMs but would like the more torque up to the 3500 to 4500 range. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do the stage one (pipes and a/c) you need something to alter air fuel mixture.

You have options, HD download or a number of different modules to choose from.

But you really should pick one to enable the bike to run properly.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
06custom
Stage IV

I did the stage 1 to my 883. It made some differences mostley changed the sound and the gas mileage drops as well but i imagine a fuel injected model will get a little more pick up than mine. good luck

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 PM
vtxkc
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do the a/c and exhaust and no fuel management the bike will be running way too lean and long term use like this can burn a valve or worse.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Willy G.
Road Captain

Start your stage 1 with a PC-V and you will have no problems.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
Has anybody here ever done the stage one kit and not had the dealer flash it or what ever they do. I Never ride at high RPMs but would like the more torque up to the 3500 to 4500 range. Any suggestions or experience with this?

I just did one... V&H true dual pipes - power commander V (fuel moto map) - an arlen ness chrome back plate and filter.
Economical and really made a difference in torque and overall performance. It really has a nice kick!! When finished...just under $1000 - and the wife got a new pair of slippers

Old 01-29-2010, 03:41 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If you want to do it on the cheap, look for a used PC III or V&H fuelpak. Both of these units work just fine in stage I applications. Perfect condition fuelpaks can be had from time to time on the classifieds for about 125 bucks or less. Only drawback to a fuelpak is that you can't dyno tune your bike with it.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

Thanks all I have to consider these options.....

Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Copper Hog
Cruiser

It's worth a few bucks to protect your investment. Most dealers won't charge much to flash the ECM with a canned map. Of course much in HD speak can vary.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Originally Posted by The Old Man
Give the Guys at Fuelmoto a Call and talk to them. Depending on the year of your bike you can get the Fuelmoto PCIII or the PCV. They provide first rate support and back their products.

I have the Fuelmoto power package and just upgraded to the new Generation Jackpots and they are even better than the first.

Before I did this, I had just the SE A/C and Stage1 Flash by the dealer (cost almost 1/2 one of the PC's, live and learn) and the bike still ran way to hot. Now it is great, Pulls great and Runs cooler and sounds the way it should.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 question