Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Change My Order?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I Change My Order?

Some of you might remember that I sold my '09 Ultra last fall because of medical problems. I thought I wasn't going to be able to ever ride again (and wasn't sure I was gonna live to ride). But the docs have done some good work, and I have a bit of a second chance to add things another couple years of riding (I hope).

With that in mind, I ordered a '10 Ultra Limited (Merlot/Cherry), and it is supposed to ship 2/3/10. That means I'll get it, assuming it ships on time, somewhere around 2/20/10. I can wait, especially since there is a foot of snow on the ground, but it's had me in the dealer a few times drooling over the new bikes.

Last Saturday I came across a couple deals on leftover '09 models that has me second guessing my order. So I thought I'd post here to see what you good folks think. Here's the deals:

Bike 1: 2009 Road King (new) with ABS, security, cruise, and the smooth wheels. It is two-tone, White Gold Pearl/Pewter Pearl. The "window sticker" on the floor is $20K. The MSRP on this bike is $19589 (not sure how they got it to $20k, but that's a different issue). The "sale price" on the bike is $16.2k (plus freight/prep/tax). Yeah, I know, some of you will say you can get more off by saving freight/prep, but at $3800 under MSRP I'm not sure there's a whole lot more room to work.

Bike 2: 2009 Heritage Softail Classic (new) with security, chrome front end, chrome controls, and smooth rims. It is also White Gold Pearl/Pewter Pearl. The MSRP for this bike (without the chrome front end and controls) is $19,499. The sticker $22k, which includes just over $1300 in chrome goodies (front end, controls) and then another $685 or so for labor to install the stuff. The "sale price" is $18k (plus freight, prep & tax). So this is in effect $4k off MSRP with all the add-ons.

My dilemma ... I love the Ultra Limited, but with my medical condition I'm not sure I'll be able to ride near as far as in the past. I also owned a Heritage Softail Classic (2007) for two seasons before I went to the '09 Ultra. If I knew I were going to put 15k miles a year on the bike I'd probably go for the Ultra Limited, even though it is as much as $8800 more than the bikes I've listed above.

So here's my thoughts ...

Do I say "fu*k it" and just go for the Limited? If this is the last bike I can buy then I might as well go out with a bang?

Or do I do the logical thing and get a leftover '09 and save a big chunk of change?

The price difference pays for a LOT of road trips or bling ...

Then again ... that Ultra Limited is a nice looking bike for the money ...

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doc_cj,
It's great to hear that you have a bit of a 'second chance!' I am right there with you on that one after my accident on 04/25/08.

That said, life is far too short to not live it to the fullest and if you are like the vast majority of us on the HDF, riding is a passion and just something you do! As such, I would follow your heart, get the 2010 UC Limited and put as many miles of smiles on as you can.

Choosing your other options isn't really where your heart is (otherwise, you'd have gone that route in the first place ); if it were me, I would go for the UC Ltd.

Make sure ya take pics and post 'em for us once you got your new scoot!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say f*ck it and go out with a bang is my vote.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_cj
...Do I say "fu*k it" and just go for the Limited? If this is the last bike I can buy then I might as well go out with a bang?...
Which decision would leave you smiling on your death bed???

Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bikes are maybe the only thing I buy for myself that price is not a factor, buy the one you like not the best deal. Of couse look for the best deal on the one you like but picking a different bike because of the deal was never an option for me.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Cokie
Advanced

The hell with the kids.............blow all the cash you have!!! Get the ULTRA!!....haha

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Sancho
Road Master

I guess if it were me and money wasn't an issue I'd go for the Limited. Put on a removable tour pak rack and a badlander seat for local stuff. When you get ready to hit the road you could put on the tour pak and stock seat and ride on.
Second choice would be the Road King and since you're saving so much money on it have it bumped up to a 103" at delivery so it's under dealer warranty and maybe a tour pak for trips.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Get the Ultra Limited! Enjoy!!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Get the one that you really want. If I was not going to make any long trips, the Road King would be my choice. But the 09 Ultra is in my garage. Just get out and raise some hell.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is nice that you got some of your life back and are able to ride again. I am thinking that the Limited is the way to go. Buying an 09 is essentially getting a two year old bike. If you have to get out of the bike business in the near future, the Limited will more likely move quicker and hold its' value more.

Quick Reply: Should I Change My Order?