Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, you think you can ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: So, you think you can ride?

current m/c officer here in Phila.

we set up competition 'drills' that 90% of the members simply cannot complete.

i do very well with them... with the exception of the 'cowboy'

Old 07-23-2006, 11:51 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone that has been through the LE rider training has my respect. A couple of currently employed LEO's on bikes, occasionally ride with us. Now THATS riding skill! Those guys can do things with a bike that I never thought possible.....

nogood o~`o

Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend of mine was one of the primary coordinators for the Dallas Police Rodeo, for many years. I've been to the rodeo several times.... WOW... THose cats can RIDE!

Another buddy came across a copy of some of the practice course layouts they use on the range. We've used them for several years now and it really helps, but even doing them once a week for that time frame pails in comparison to what they do.

Interestingly, several months ago when the Ride Like A Pro video thread was going strong in this forum, I bought the latest release. To my surprise, it was immediately apparent that someone we've been practing with must have a previous copy because we've been diong much of what he covers in the video, plus the layouts we got from the LEO range exercies.

To sum it up.... I don;t care how long you've been riding or how many miles you've logged..... you can ALWAYS improve, and activities like this are invaluable.

If you get a chance to attend a Police Rodeo, by all means GO!

Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Pathfinder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I were in Memphis last year and got to watch a number of motor officers practicing for a Rodeo the next day. I was amazed at the riding skills these cats have. A couple of them stopped and talked with us for a little while finally suggesting "bring that big Ultra out here and take a spin with us." NOT!!! I informed him that I had to pay for this one out of my pocket, not the cities bank account.

A year and some months later, LETS RIDE! After watching those guys it motivitated me to learn to really ride the bike. Ride the MSF/Riders Edge BRC on your street bike. Then go to the ERC.

Definitely get Jerry's Ride Like A PRO. You can get close to their skill levels with enough slow speed practice.

I changed brakes a month ago after 30K. Front brakes were fine, rear - worn out! You'll go through some if you practice enough.

I wouldn't say I am really any more a proficient rider than most but I had a number of local guys "chicken footin" trying to follow me around parking lots and U-turns. It freaks em out when you scrape the footboards 2 up.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:12 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of us can ride unless an emergency occurs thats when the problems start. Esp. on the hard to handle "bigger bikes"!!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
propkillr
Intermediate

my guys came in 2nd and 4th. ccso

Old 07-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Calicruiser
Cruiser

Chcek out this link............http://www.ccso.charlestoncounty.org...0Broadcast.wmv

Old 07-24-2006, 05:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

They had these police competitions here in Baton Rouge every year until a couple of years ago. That was something I never missed, as I was always in awe of the skills these guys and gals demonstrated. One year, a guy from Va. Beach (or Va. City) did the slow-ride competition in 3 min. That's 30' (IIRC) in 3 min. I kinda think I can ride a little, and might be able to do it in 30 sec. on a good day.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 AM
EDCT100
Road Captain

Great photo's...passed them along to my son as well. He is current LE and is considering a switch to Motor Division. Thanks.

Ed

Old 07-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was a member of the NYPD Hwy Patrol unit. I had the luck to be trained and rode with one of the best. I ride very well but would never do anything that they do at the rodeos on my personal Motorcycle
some of those guys make you wonder about the laws of gravity

Quick Reply: So, you think you can ride?