Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering kit that doesn't negatively affect suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 AM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 06 Road Glide, I bought the Road 6 Customs kit off of ebay. Didn't change the shock angle all that much. Plus, I spent like $25 for the kit. So if I didn't like it, I wasn't out a lot of cash. One day I'll probably put an Arnott kit on, but need $$$ for other things at the moment.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
SUspensions are systems. I f you change one component it becomes a compromise that affects others. I'd recommend you find a good shop that knows how to evaluate your goals and what you want to accomplish with the mod and then let them recommend a solution. WHen a suspension is designed everything from the tire pressures and sizes, wheel diameters and weights, shock performance and mounting, ride height and rake, front to rear weight ratios, spring rates, and sizes are all put into the equation. Be careful about just adding lowering blocks, or shorter springs or some such. It will affect the bike's dynamic responses and could have a severe impact on bike handling and safety.
I agree, what I was thinking of doing for the streetglide was changing the stock 12" shocks for 13" aftermarket ones and then using a lowering kit to bring the bike back down to stock height. The overall effect (hopefully) would be to improve the suspension with increased travel without compromising the low profile of the bike???

Old 02-07-2010, 10:12 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by piasspj
The angle of the shocks doesn't change that much. Any method for lowering the rear of the bike will affect maximum lean angle in cornering. Unless the '09s and 10s are different the tire will bottom out against the fender before you reach the maximum travel of the stock shocks.
Do you actually know the fender-tire clearance before and after lowering?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

I don't know how you can lower a bike without lowering ground clearance. The handling is impaired on a lowered bike.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I don't know how you can lower a bike without lowering ground clearance. The handling is impaired on a lowered bike.
I'm willing to lose a little ground clearance for a lower seat height. Its a trade off, I know, but the new touring frames have so much clearance to start with that I'm pretty sure it will be OK (won;'t be as bad a s riding a Deluxe!!)

Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
customsoftail200
Road Master

I looked at the White Bros kit which bolts to the bottom at the swingarm, that one changes the angle of the shock to lower it. Does anyone have any experience with these good or bad??

Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without using an expensive(but nice) air ride system to jack the bike up when moving no, it will effect the ride. The 2nd best option would be to lower 1 to 1 1/2 inches or less using replacement air shocks, such as the ones used on the FLHX and front springs from Burly, progressive or HD. The 3rd best option would be replacing the air shocks with a shorter spring shock, and the least desirable is the lowering block which angles the stock shocks back. I have this, and it's not really bad, but it's only 1 1/4 inch lower in juat the rear. Gonna do the front 1 inch this winter w/a progressive kit.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, the lest interferance would be a shorter seat. Not cheap, but I put the FLHX seat on my FLHT, and man did it ever put my feet closer to the ground without any effect on my ride height.