Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 ULtra SE vs. 2007 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:31 PM
SilverDawg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ULtra SE vs. 2007 Ultra Classic

Lets start a debate on these two baggers.

Let's say an individual is contemplating purchasing one of these two bikes.

Let's also assume the individual, if he bought the "standard" Ultra, would be adding several thousand dollars worth of accessories, i.e. pipes, Stage 1, lots of chrome (forks, switch housings, etc.). Does the price difference then become less of a factore. Does it still make sense to plop down the extra $dough$ for the the Ultra SE? Or buy your own and "roll your own"?

Let's consider things such as the engine difference, options, resale, etc.

Let's try to cover both sides of this purchase, i.e. buying the Ultra vs. the Ultra SE? I know price will be the biggest motivator, so let's try to look at other arguments for each bike.

Should be interesting.

Oh, and by the way, I am actually considering one of these two bikes

p.s. Have you ever seen a dealer sell an Ultra SE at MSRP?

Old 07-22-2006, 02:03 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 ULtra SE vs. 2007 Ultra Classic

Most here in Florida sell at MSRP. I have done this comparison. If you compardly equipp the ULTRA like the SE ULTRA it will cost you several thousand more.Just the 110 engine kit is 2500.00. a comporable custom paint job would be at least 2-3,000.00. add on all the other chrome items for about 7-9k ,hydraulic clutch, garage door opener gps, premium radio cost value of leather tour pak,not to mention labor and you can see the difference is large. Most importantly you will never have the value of the SE because it is not an SE.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:04 PM
eddybo69
Road Master

It all depends on what you will do to your Ultra if you do not buy the SE. If your happy with stock thats great go with the ultra
If you are going to add just the navigation system 1k down. Gotta add the oil cooler est. 300. I want the heated seat. My catalogue is in the reading room and I do not wanna wake the wife so I will just add 800. Gotta get some bling chrome switch housings, mirrors, floorboards, passanger boards, highway pegs, rims, pulley, chrome front end kit, rims est 4200. umm function hydrolic clutch, pipes, floaters est 1k. hey I also need a 110 gott have the cases bored I think, and need the big bore kit gotta cost 3500 min. Upgrading radio and getting auto lock on the bags??? Six speed....no cost. riding an ultra classic, priceless no matter which one you pic.

Actually I think it would cost more than ten grand to build a ultra into a SE ultra, if you like the mods that the moco has made on a CVO and were going to make a majority of those mods anyway go for the cvo. My only doubt is with that leather tour pak. I think they look good, but is it going to be big enough. I know when the wife and I head out on a trip my 06 ultra is fully loaded.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:20 PM
stsltd
Advanced

I think you also need to keep in mind the final cost of the SE ULtra also - I just made a similar decesion but wth the 06 - know that if I had bought a SE I would not have left it alone either - still would have changed out the pipes, intake and more than likely a Power Commander - know I would have switched to a Corbin saddle, etc...which are changes I made to the "base"ultra - also, I prefer the black ones anyway - so - that's just one way look at it. Does not make it right. Also, I do all the work on my bikes - someting I enjoy and the labor price is pretty good.

Actually saw a fellow with a brand new SE Ultra doing just that - new pipes. intake....etc. that said, he is very happy with the results.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:17 PM
SilverDawg
Road Captain

Good info so far. I would definitely try to change the pipes, but with all of the still uncertain debate about voiding warranty's, I would have to wait.

Do you think it possible to put a regular tour pak on the SE Ultra and get it painted to match? Anyone ever seen one?

Also, my local dealer is charging 2K over MSRP for the SE Ultra. NO way I would pay that so if anyone has a lead on an MSRP one, keep me in mind...just in case.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:36 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothin' sweeter that black 110 CVO Ultra. The coolest factory decker in the arsenal!

Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 AM
SilverDawg
Road Captain

Need to see them all in person.

I still will refuse to pay over MSRP. May mean I will not see a CVO Ultra SE, but I'll search the northern dealers this fall and winter if I have to.

If that fails, its a black Ultra and bring on the mods....

Old 07-23-2006, 04:36 AM
copout221
Cruiser

I completely agree. A dealer here in Illinois claims they will have what a want next week or the following. A black/orange SE Ultra. However, the idiot at the stealer quoted me $1000.00 over MSRP plus almost $1000.00 for freight and setup. What a scam. I gave him my tel # and told him to call me when he wants to sell the bike instantly and I also told him to say hello to the sucker who buyes it for that ridiculous price. What a bunch of greedy jerks. I called five dealers in Wisconsin who are all selling the CVO bikes at MSRP plus $500.00 - $700.00 for freight and setup. The only drawback to the Wisconsin dealers is the wait. I am on two dealers lists for the first black/orange they get in around September. I hope it comes in sooner !!!

ORIGINAL: SilverDawg

Need to see them all in person.

I still will refuse to pay over MSRP. May mean I will not see a CVO Ultra SE, but I'll search the northern dealers this fall and winter if I have to.

If that fails, its a black Ultra and bring on the mods....

Old 07-23-2006, 09:56 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people like to personalize their motorcycle. There may be options on the SE that you can live without.

I don't know about you but all of the hype about the big engine is over rated. The 88's and now for '07 the 96's are plenty to get you down the road.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 AM
SilverDawg
Road Captain

I know what you mean, my dealer pops the MSRP $2 large. No way I'm paying that much. If I decide to go the SE route, I'll be patient.

Quick Reply: 2007 ULtra SE vs. 2007 Ultra Classic